We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days at least?

Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How many days at least?

Hello, we will be in Chicago in may (two adults and two children almost 3 and five) we want to see the main attractions like millennium park, magnificent mile, Willis tower, John hanckok center, buckingam fountain, riverwalk, lake/ river cruise and field museum and American girl forma children. Will be enough 2.5 days or we need 3.5 days (we arrive at 8 PM and we have the depart fligt to Miami at 4 PM). If we stay 2.5 days in Chicago we will stay almost 3 days in Miami otherwise we will have almost 2 days in Miami.thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
16 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,182 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days at least?

Longer the better.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days at least?

It depends on where you want to spend your time. With little kids you could never do all of that in 2.5 days.

B.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days at least?

Note than the weather may be quite cool if your visit is in early May. The fountains may not be turned on until later in the month. You will also need to check when river and lake cruises resume after the winter hiatus. Even if they are running, you may decide it is too chilly to be enjoyable.

You don't need to visit both the Willis Tower and the John Hancock; one is sufficient.

Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days at least?

Thank you, it seems better longer.We will be there early may so the weather could be very cold ..culturevoulture do you recommend the same staying 3.5 days? I hope the weather will be fine i really would like to make the river cruise

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days at least?

This year I believe the Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruises started in early April. Wendella Boat website shows April 2018 cruises as well...so cruising is an option but yes it could be chilly.

You can easily spend 3.5 days in Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago Architecture Center
Chicago Architecture...
2,452 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
917 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days at least?

Well, I always like more time in a place, rather than less. However, much of your list could be done in a single day. The John Hancock tower and American Girl Place are within a block of each other, and they are part of the "Magnificent Mile," which is just a nickname for that stretch of Michigan Ave just north of the river. And the park area with Millenium Park and Buckingham Fountain is along Michigan Ave just south of the river. And, of course, the Riverwalk is along the river. It wouldn't be hard to do one side in the morning, have lunch somewhere along or near the Riverwalk, and see the other side in the afternoon. That would leave (from your list) Field Museum and river cruise for day two, as well as Willis Tower, if you really want to do both it and the Hancock.

Of course, there are lots of things to do in Chicago other than what you have on your list. The kids might like the zoo, aquarium, ferris wheel at the Navy Pier... So, I don't think you'd have any trouble filling 3 1/2 days.

I really think it depends on where you guys think you'd rather spend the extra day, Chicago or Miami.

Edited: 6:44 pm, October 17, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Buckingham Fountain
Buckingham Fountain
2,990 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Field Museum
The Field Museum
7,784 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,781 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
701 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days at least?

Early May can be very iffy. This May was awful, with cold swirling winds and rain that hit you from all directions. Museums and indoor activities aren't affected as much, but it's not usually ideal for lake strolls, parks, or river cruises. Of course, each year is different, there have been years when St Patrick's day marked the end of winter.

Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days at least?

Thanks, i don't like zoo, instead we will go to navy Pier even i know is very touristic.i'm so worried for weather...

Mentioned in this post
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,781 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days at least?

Poster No. 6's itinerary is pretty ambitious, and probably unrealistic, for a family traveling with 2 children aged 3 and 5.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
917 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days at least?

Depends on what you expect out of these activities, MBA. Millenium Park / Buckingham Fountain is not necessarily an hours-long activity, if you just want to see the area, and maybe take some pics at the fountain and "The Bean." I don't know how long it takes to see American Girl Place, as that's not my kind of thing, but I know it's right next to the Hancock tower.

Mentioned in this post
Buckingham Fountain
Buckingham Fountain
2,990 Reviews
Chicago, IL
American Girl
American Girl
429 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Reply to: How many days at least?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted