We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake cruises

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
1,918 reviews
Save Topic
Lake cruises

I can see numerous companies who offer 40 minute cruises but are there any half day cruises available. We will be in town the first week of September next year.

10 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake cruises

Other than a private charter, no.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
1,918 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake cruises

Thanks Dave, thought there would be /

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake cruises

You could do a dinner cruise which are approx 2-3 hours in length.

https:/…dinner-cruises

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
1,918 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake cruises

Do they sail further up the lake on a dinner cruise ?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake cruises

Not really. IMO - they’re not worth what they charge.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake cruises

I always thought about mini cruise ships in Lake Michigan doing like 1-3 day summer trips up to Mackinac Island and back ,stopping at a couple of "ports " along the way.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake cruises

racso012, that would be a great idea, except....it's probably not economically feasible. How much would you pay for it? How many multiple hundred $s per head for a one-day tour? It might be cheaper to charter; definitely a rental car would be cheaper.

Besides, you see what these various posters want to pay for anything (no offense to the OP - that's just a general observation). Some think the CAF's River Cruise is too expensive.

There IS a cruise along the St. Lawrence Seaway into the Great Lakes, including Chicago as a port. I seem to remember that the prices *start at* about $12,000 pp (double occupancy), depending on the season and the accommodations.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake cruises

My sister-in-law took a cruise that went Chicago to Mackinac Island and back with interim stops. There's no way it was $12,000 but she didnt go all the way to the Seaway.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake cruises

Jan, just did a quick search. Was it perhaps the USA River Cruises one? Looks like that $3199 pp (double occupancy) - or $1999 single - not including port or fuel surcharges. That's for 8 days/7 nights, apparently.

My main point was that probably not many (of these types of posters) would even consider that, because of cost.

Also, I didn't mean to infer that the OP would be interested in the $12,000/pp (DO) one, but just to show that those are pretty expensive enterprises. I thought about mentioning the cost of the ferries in between MI and WI, but that would have been apples to oranges, since it's a much shorter trip across than vertically.

Edited: 7:32 pm, October 17, 2017
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,599 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake cruises

The lake is a lot rougher than people realize. I think that's one reason there's not a lot of long cruises or even half day.

Reply to: Lake cruises
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted