We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Arlington Heights

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Staying at Arlington Heights

Hello:

It will be my first time in Chicago !!!

We 3 (adults) are going to be there between Oct 12th and Oct 15th. Our idea is to pass all day in Chicago downtown, you know … touristic places.

My question is related to the hotel. We don’t want to spend more than $150 per night so Chicago downtown is not an option. I have read about Evanston and Skokie as good options because of train station but right now is too expensive, almost as Chicago. Then, I tried near the two airports, specially Midway who also has train station but the hotels are really creepy or in the case of O’Hare I find a bit difficult to get by public transport to Chicago downtown. So, finally I found very nice hotels (Marriot, Hilton, etc. ) in Arlington Heights at a very affordable prices (around $115). As I see in the map, this city is even further than O’Hare airport but when looking for public transport directions it gives me around 70m the time to reach Chicago Downtown. I need to take the bus who stops almost in front of the hotel and that goes to a train station (I think).

My question is if you think this is realistic, or maybe this is too far from Chicago to do the trip every day, on the morning and then at night. Or maybe you any other ideas.

Thanks !!!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
Hotel Chicago Downtown...
1,332 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Evanston
Evanston
Illinois
Skokie
Skokie
Illinois
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
75 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,270 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Welcome to the TA forums.

Staying in AH and commuting back and forth downtown simply isn't practical.

If you've found a hotel near O'hare in Rosemont, it's about an hour downtown via the CTA blue line train. www.transitchicago.com has the details.

Did you also check out hotels in Skokie? That's also accessible to downtown via the CTA yellow and red line trains.

Check hotel rates through Hotwire and Priceline Express Deals.

Mentioned in this post
Rosemont
Rosemont
Illinois
Skokie
Skokie
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

It will take more than 70 minutes because the downtown train station is not near most tour stops.

Also the train runs very infrequently on weekends. The suburban bus may not run at all.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Really bad idea. If you can't afford a room downtown look at a different date or use some of the Priceline or other blind booking sites.

B.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,901 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Arlington Heights is not Chicago. Staying way out there is a bad idea. Do not commute to your vacation. unfortunately you are going to have to choose the cost of location, location, location over you budget. Double your hotel budget and stay downtown - or - don't come to Chicago at this time. www.hotels.com is showing numerous good hotels downtown for around $200.00 per night. You can type "staying in a suburb" in this forums search engine for past answers to your dilemma.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

A budget of no more than $150/ night is simply unrealistic for a hotel in Chicago. You will barely see anything of Chicago if you stay in Arlington Heights and commute by train. Except during rush hour, the trains only run once/ hour. And the buses are infrequent off-rush hour too (or nonexistent, as others have noted). If that is truly all you can afford to spend -- in contrast to what you "want" to spend -- then perhaps you should consider some other sort of vacation where lodging will be less expensive. if you can afford to spend about $200/ day (including taxes), you should be able to find a centrally located hotel in Chicago if you use the booking sites (Expedia, Priceline, booking..com) and avoid a time when there is a major convention or similar type of event in town.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Try the Carleton Midway

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

I'll pile on. If you're coming to Chicago to see the city, don't stay in a suburb. Allocate more money to stay in the city or else postpone the trip until you have more funds. If you're coming here for tourism, you don't want to be in a place that's notable only for the school system and the culture consists of a Chuck E Cheese

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Thanks all for your answers.

Regarding advices to change my travel dates, they are not negotiable that’s why I specified from Oct 12th to Oct 15th.

In fact what I can still change is the first part of the trip so if someone has a better idea is more than welcomed. I arrive with my mother at O’Hare on Oct 9th. We plan to take the train right away to go to Milwaukee (I decided this as I don’t want to travel more than 1h30-2h to visit another city) and stay at a downtown hotel for the first night and visit all day the city. Then, following day we rent a car and visit Washington Port and Cedarbourg. Then going by car or train to Madison to stay there one night. And we go back to Chicago on Oct 12th to meet my sister who will be arriving at O'Hare and then leaving Chicago on Oct 15th (O'Hare).. So, in fact, I’m still flexible about cities to visit as all what’s booked is refundable.

Now, going back to my original question.

Dave148 : Yes, I checked near O’Hare and Skokie as stated in my post. It’s expensive or the hotels are very bad (bed bugs, drugs, you know…). You say from O’Hare is one hour to downtown … yeah, that’s why I was thinking about Arlington Heights it’s just 10 minutes more and nicer area plus better and cheaper hotels .

wes032: I found the bus schedule: http://pacebus.com/pdf/schedules/606sched.pdf

It goes even on weekends.

Booyakasha1201 : I tried Priceline Bid but it only gives me a double room, no guarantee if there is an extra bed available so I can't get stuck with that.

shallow_shoals: I'm coming to Chicago, lol.

MBA60302: I get your point but $200 per night is a no-never for me specially if I'm staying all day in the city, just going to the hotel to sleep. If I would use the hotels amenities it would be different. That's why I have been looking a bit further. In fact, I can get a downtown hotel for around $150 but the hotel is so ... just read most of the reviews ..... and I have been in these kind of hotels and no doing it again. So, my thought is if I spend $150 for a creepy hotel in downtown or for the same price or even cheaper I have a nice hotel but of course, staying in a suburb.

RickMP: Thanks ! That one is very close to the Train station and look pretty decent.

Is it "quite normal" to arrive and depart at O'Hare and staying at a hotel near Midway airport? I guess the free shuttle doesn't apply to us?

Just a small resume of us (the 3 travelers) if that helps. We plan to visit the city, touristic places, etc but we are not going to be in a rush to see everything from place A to B then to C and then I came back home even more tired than I was before I left. Moreover, I doubt we are going to visit any Art museum (I know my sister) neither big Natural Parks so we don’t mind wasting 15 min more if we are going to be more comfortable.

Thanks again helping me to decide.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Skokie
Skokie
Illinois
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,270 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Arlington Heights is more than 10 minutes past Ohare. Relying on Pace bus schedule doesn't make for a nice visit. The Pace bus takes you to Rosemont. Then you'll have another hour to get downtown on the blue line.

After you arrive at Ohare, how are you planning to get to an Amtrak station to get to Milwaukee? You'll have to take a blue line train or taxi downtown to Union Station to get Amtrak up north to Milwaukee. Or you'll take a cab from the airport to the Glenview Amtrak station. There is a bus from Ohare to Milwaukee too.

No, it's not practical to arrive at Ohare and stay at a hotel by Midway. It's a long and impractical commute.

How much do you value your time here?

Mentioned in this post
Rosemont
Rosemont
Illinois
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Union Station
Union Station
844 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Glenview
Glenview
Illinois
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Arlington Heights

Regarding your Wisconsin portion, I would recommend just renting your car from O'Hare and driving up to Milwaukee. Taking the train involves an hour from O'Hare into the city (Chicago) and then waiting for the train, then another 1.5 hrs back up to Milwaukee. You can drive from O'Hare to Milwaukee in under 2 hours, and then you can just keep it to go to Madison (the only train option from Milwaukee to Madison is Amtrak, which, ironically, goes back down to Chicago before going back up to Madison [two different Amtrak lines] - very much not worth your time). The drive to Madison is only an hour and it's easy.

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Madison
Madison