We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo sites?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baltimore
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cairo sites?

I am considering visiting Cairo, IL which I've read a lot of background information on and have always wanted to see.

Can anyone offer any tips for things to see, things to avoid? As you can imagine, Cairo doesn't show up in tourism guides for the area. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo sites?

Cairo? Really? It's such an impoverished town, and although there's some surviving 19th century architecture, much of the town is in decay. There's only a few thousand people left in town. But if you're going to be in that area, take I-57 west to Sikeston and eat at Lamberts, the "home of throwed rolls" and bring a big appetite. You could go east and see Metropolis, that pretends to be the home of Superman. There many wineries to the north between Cairo and Carbondale. You are also not far from Kentucky Lake.

You may really want to consider staying in Paducah or Marion and making a day trip to Cairo.

DC Metro Area
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo sites?

I agree with the last response. I grew up in that area (Mound City), not really much of anything there anymore. I was there a couple of years ago and the highlight of the trip was visiting Walmart - pretty sad - because I used to have alot of fun there when I was growing up.

Hillsboro, Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo sites?

I also was planning to maybe take a ride to Cario, my Mother grew up their around the early 1900's. I remember her telling me about the gangsters hanging out there, the drinking out on the levee during prohibition. Supposedly one of my uncles was a river boat engineer. I haven't been to Cario since I was about 8 or 9 and my Grandmother passed away. If I remember she had a house at 5th and poplar. But, my best memory, was Cario was where I was introduced to Cario BBQ, and I distincly remember having it on white bread flattened out by a waffel iron thing. Now, I'm an old retired Navy man and I've tried BBQ in more places then most can name, and the one BBQ that has always stuck out in my mind of what real BBQ was had to be that Cario BBQ. The last time I was there I also ate at a place called the Wagonwheel, is it still there. It's a long trip on a motorcycle, but I just have to have some more of that BBQ before I die.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo sites?

I believe the BBQ you're refering to is Shemwell's. There's info on it here on Tripadvisor.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35749-d51…

baltimore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo sites?

Dalgast;

If you do go to Cairo, please share your impressions on this site. (:

6. Re: Cairo sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cairo