We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Victoria, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

I have been reading all the posts on this forum for a few months now and have learned so much. In a week we will be on our way and are very excited!

We will be arriving late Saturday so have a hotel close to the airport and expect to be up quite early Sunday morning for our drive to Trinity where we will spend the next three nights. The plan is to take routes 60 and 70 and go to Cupid, Brigus, Bay Roberts, etc. We plan to take our time and stop to see whatever catches our interest and go to the Plantation, Hawthorne Cottage and perhaps some short hikes. I would really like to get up to Grates Cove but do you think that is pushing it? should we just plan on cutting across on route 74?

We are a couple in our 50s and quite capable of longer drives but don't want to feel like we just sat in the car all day.

Any thoughts? If we do get to Grates Cove how long can we expect it to take to get from there to Trinity?

Thanks.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Fresh berries aren't out but partridge berry jam tart or lassy tart! Rocket Bakery in St. John's is great but may not be open early on Sunday. check on internet.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

The Trinity Bake Shop (of course in Trinity!!) supplies many supermarkets and convenience stores on the Bonavista Peninsula. They have lots of different breads, pies and cookies.

When are you arriving? Right now, lobster is in season, and there is lots of crab too.

If you have time, try to drive route 235 on the Bonavista Peninsula, it is beautiful. And the Bonavista Social Club restaurant in Upper Amherst Cove has fresh baked goods, jams and pickles for sale. They actually grow some of the ingredients for the jams and pickles themselves. And the view from their deck is spectacular.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Great advice above. You might also watch for a fish truck selling cooked lobster or crab and just do a picnic somewhere on a beach.

Victoria, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Lassy tarts sound interesting! The Rocket bakery will have to wait until the end of our trip when we will be in St. John's for a few days but will definitely check out the Trinity Bake Shop's goods. Seafood, especially lobster is something that we are looking forward to and a picnic on the beach sounds perfect. We are flying in this weekend - if storm Arthur allows it!

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Oh, good luck with the flights. Arthur seems to be going to shake things up. If you get grounded by weather in St. John's., Erin's Pub and Shamrock Pub offer great shelter and Irish and local music. You can get any style of music in St. John's but we prefer those two pubs on Water Street and George Street as a detour on the way home to get a taxi.

Victoria, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Pub names noted and I am sure we will be visiting them at some point. Unfortunately if the storm interferes with our travel I suspect we will likely be sitting in Toronto for awhile.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Love that "pan your trip" feature. Rather than posing this question on my original thread (Itinerary for 4 weeks in Newfoundland), I am doing it here because it has to do with the length of our drive from Tilting on Fogo Island to Rocky Harbour. It shows a distance of 457 km and about a 7 hour drive.(including I believe the time spent on the ferry). That would be OK but we have to take the ferry of course from Fogo Island. I looked at the schedule and there is one at 7:00 am, however if we miss that one, the next one would be at 10:15 a.m. Do I read correctly that we then would arrive in Farewell at 11:30? Does "combined" mean via Change Islands? We will have 7 nights in Gros Morne, should I change that to 6 nights and stay somewhere en route (open to suggestions as to where). Leaving early this Thursday, suit cases have been brought up, starting to put stuff together!!

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Yes, combined means Change Islands on the way to Farewell and also means some space reserved for change Island traffic. Depending on where you are staying on Fogo Island, it might be a good idea to put your car in the line up th enight before and get a ride up in the am, with a tip for the person who gets up early to drive you. I like the King's Point area, just off Sprindale Junction. There are a number of places to stay there but book ahead if you decide to shorten Gros Morne.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

We are staying in Tilting, which I guess is just about as far from the ferry as possible...

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Thoughts on length of our drive with stops

Yes, but ask if they will run you to the ferry or if they think there is a need to. Generous donation towards gas goes a long way as you'll need them to do two trips. One to drop off the car, one to get you to it. They might even know someone going on the first trip who you can get a ride with in the morning. First trip is often busy, depending on the day as people are trying to do a round trip off the island for doctors, shopping, etc.

Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland