We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to do in 1 week?

Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much to do in 1 week?

Hi, I am in the initial planning of a family trip to Newfoundland in June of 2015. My sisters and myself plan to arrive in St. John and spend 1 week traveling to several areas. Ideally we would like to visit the Bonavista/Trinity area (where our Grandfather and Aunts and Uncles were born) but would also like to see Burin (as that is where our Grandmother is from). Of course we would like to end our trip with 2 days to see St. John. It seems like an awful lot of driving. Would love to hear what anyone thinks about this.

Thanks,

Sue

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

It is possible, you can get to Bonavista no problem within a day, and from Bonavista to Burin is only four hours of driving...it will be a bit of driving, but doable in a week....ensure that you have unlimited km's on your car, otherwise it may get pricey!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

You could arrive in St. John's, head to the Bonavista Peninsula to visit beautiful little towns like Bonavista, Trinity, Elliston, English Harbour, etc. You could be based in one town, ie. Trinity, and do day trips to visit the peninsula. Look at renting cottages and vacation homes since you will travelling with a group and there are beautiful ones for rent in these areas. 2-3 days in this area would work. Then travel to the Burin Peninsula for a couple of nights. Head back to St. John's for the final 2 nights like you planned, stay in the downtown area so you can easily walk around and explore the area without worrying about parking, taxi fares, etc. Make sure you book accommodations and your car rental in advance and be sure you book for St. John's, NL and not St. John, NB - this is a common mistake and could be a big headache!

Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

Thank you for your suggestions. We are thinking of perhaps skipping the Burin area and just spending time in the Bonavista and St. John areas. Not sure if we really want to spend that much time in the car.

Would like to arrive in S. John and head out to Trinity/Bonavista area that same day. I believe it will be a 4 hour drive. Do you have any suggestions for places to stop along the way for lunch, picnic, stretch of the legs? Do not really want to do any big hikes that day. Will probably pick 1 place to stay (as suggested) for our home base and do day trips. Will do the same thing when we return to St. John area.

Silly question, but do cruise ships dock in St. John and if so any suggestions on how to avoid the crowds that go along with them?

Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

If you like wine/vodka, try a winery tour at Rodrigues' Winery in Whitbourne...

Gander NL
Level Contributor
991 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

Monty's is a restaurant in Whitbourne that does great homemade food. Long established family business. There is now also a string of 'mainland' style Subway, Tim's etc. there.

I would suggest leaving the highway at Whitbourne, though and taking a run to the Dildo Dory Grill. Food is great, there is a little touristy store and you can see the water for a bit while you have your break. It's a lovely little spot with seafood, moose and 'Canadian' dishes. ;) Indoor or outdoor seating on the water. Actually, I HIGHLY suggest this as the highway is all inland driving and you'll need a puff of salt air by then.

Another homemade food place is Breen's in Goobies. They specialize in turkey. Dinners, sandwiches, soup, etc. Stick to your ribs stuff but their fish and chips are good too. Homemade breads! Outside looks rundown due to removing old Pizza Delight markings on the building. Hopefully they'll paint soon. This is on the highway and you can take great sandwiches to go if you are pressed for time.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

I'm going to be that guy haha. St. John and St. John's are two different towns;)

I think 3 days is minimum needed in St. John's region, and 3 days in the Trinity region. We did it in 3, and loved every second...the hikes are so beautiful. Sorry, know nothing of Burin;)

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

I second Breens. My husband and I sometimes stop there on our way to or from Bonavista. Without stopping, Bonavista is less than 4 hours drive, Trinity just over 3. Route 80 through Dildo is really a nice area, too.

Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

My bad! St. John's! Better get THAT straight before I head up there. I am sure all my relatives in heaven are looking down shaking their heads at me.

Thanks everyone for all the info! :)

Gander NL
Level Contributor
991 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

Even worse, you could end up with reservations in another province at Saint John, New Brunswick! Check out the theatre festival in Trinity. Trinity Pageant is an outdoor play that moves site to site. Rising Tide theatre.

Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to do in 1 week?

Rising Tide is on my list! Looks great.