We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wondering abouf food in NL

dallas/fort worth
Level Contributor
153 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
wondering abouf food in NL

Should I bring some staples from home? Would it be more economical to stock up on supplies in St. John? We are a group of 4 traveling to Trinity and Elliston for a week. Just read about high prices....Glad to support the local economy, but we are on a budget! Ideas???

Mount Pearl...
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: wondering abouf food in NL

Got a Costco membership? There's a Costco in St. John's (East End/Stravanger Drive area) that's economical comparatively for grocery shopping, and you'll save a few bucks filling up your gas tank, too! I find sometimes grocery shopping in the smaller outport communities that your selection is more limited and sometimes they run out of stuff or stuff isn't always as fresh as it is in town, but most of the time it doesn't make a difference. It's not like you're going to be out there trying to create Michelin 3 star meals! As for fishing, depending on the time of year you'll see people out selling their fresh catch on the side of the highway, just ask around.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
982 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: wondering abouf food in NL

There are farmers markets now and local produce but remember, there are people trying to make their living so the prices are higher than things coming on transports from Mexico or south America. I can get cheaper vegs at grocery stores but they are at least a week old when they get here. Jet lagged cauliflower isn't nearly as good as one I might pay a few dollars for off a local truck.

The portions are generally large and if you are traveling on a budget, I'd suggest splitting a large meal rather than ordering two small ones. If you're still hungry, you can justify a dessert......

13. Re: wondering abouf food in NL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2014