We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Sun Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

Our family of six (kids ages 10-16 with 4 intermediate to advanced skiers and two intermediate snowboarders) had a great time at Beaver creek over New Year & spring break but wants to try someplace new. Most likely we'll ski over the New Year 2014 but spring break is an option. Is one time of the year better than the other? Kids did OK in -10 degree weather in CO but I'm not sure they (or I) can take much colder temps. We will either ski at Sun Valley or Park City (which my husband & I have visited & enjoyed). Are there ski in/out condo options for less than $1k/night? Our teens loved having some independence at Beaver Creek.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

very hard to reply to this. no one can even say what the weather could be. lived here for 37 years and usually is cold, but once they opened the golf course!! we never know. i would say if you wanted to pick , i would say over new years..spring break can be iffy, like this year. we have had 60 deg weather, and right now..snow is limited.

you would love sun valley. i have skiied at park city (and MANY more) and wonder why we ever leave here! park city was one of the resorts that we left! i didn't like the way the mountain was designed at all. we are very spoiled . our mountain is fabulous and we have designer snow making on 95% of the mountain.

look into the pennys condo and i will get off here and find the other one. we have to sides to go up..warm springs, and river run. pennys is at river run. your kids would love this place, freedom in the security of a very cool, historic ski town.

any other question..shoot.

Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

Thanks so much. I know it's tough to predict snow. I will post again once we make a decision...but at some point we will visit since our goal is to visit as many states as possible before the kids graduate from college.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

well, we get nervous about anyone visiting..i came for 2 weeks...37 years ago...! ha

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
772 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

Watch out, if it looks like people are going to linger, Charley starts talking about tick fever!

New Year's would be the better option with a better chance of good snow. We had a below-zero winter in southern Idaho this year, even here in the flatlands, but it's not the norm.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Pug

Idaho
Level Contributor
480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?
Idaho Division of Tourism What's this?

During the ski season, Visit Idaho has a dedicated winter site that offers snow conditions. I invite you to bookmark it: http://www.visitidaho.org/winter/ .

BTW, Schweitzer Mountain Resort has extended their 2013 ski season through April 14... Woot-Woot!

Cheers,

Diane

Visit Idaho

Content provided by the Idaho Division of Tourism: visitidaho.org
idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

diane,

love all your suggestions..BUT this family wants a bit more than schweitzer, not to put that place down...have you ever been to beaver creek?? no comparison..not even near...

Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

Yes, Sun Valley would work, but given the cost of plane tickets & the ease for us to drive to Beaver Creek/Vail, we definitely want a major ski resort. I like the kids15 & under ski free option over spring break, which we wouldn't get over the new year. Diane, I will follow the snow conditions, thanks so much for the link. Charley, I think my snowboarders will really like Sun Valley since there aren't many catwalks on the trail map.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

well, let me know what you think after a week here. as pug says, i say, don't linger toooo long here. been to beaver creek and vail. sun valley rocks.

9. Re: is skiing here better during New Years week or spring break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sun Valley