We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Sun Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheeseland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

We are planning a trip from the midwest to a ski resort out west for the end of February. We are considering Sun Valley, but are trying to determine how the ski conditions really are (vs. Steamboat who appears to have had had over 100 inches of snow in January 2009).

As you know, finances for everyone are really tight (including us) so we want to be cautious about our ski destination. We would prefernot to drive that great distance to find ourselves skiing on a few inches of man-made snow.

Sun Valley sounds inviting and exotic, but we're wondering if a visit there may be better another winter.

We'd really appreciate a candid assessment from a Trip Advisor member.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

NIck,

No one can predict the weather here. i have been here for over 30 years, and the weather and snow conditions change daily. The weather channel will say that snow is coming (50%) and we will have the bluest sky that you have ever seen.

We have excellent snow, take it from a skier. Although, we do need snow to ski in the trees, we have gucci man made, if we need it. They have perfected the snow and our groomers are the best. the mountain is large and there is PLENTY of snow, even on a slight snow year. NO WORRIES. Steamboat is a busy place, Sun Valley is a destination. They are worlds apart. We have a wonderful small town, drive a few miles, hot springs in the middle of the river, slap on some snow shoes and walk anywhere you want....skate or xcountry, there are miles and miles of trails. we used to have the rail road come through here, years ago, and we have turned that into a bike path, skiing path that is groomed all winter...and free.

if you want, pm me with the numbers of the condos and i will be very happy to look at the location.

i still like alans place. all the others are clustered together, a bit older and alans place runs north and south, not clustered.

i will be happy to look for you.

and sun valley is exotic, much harder to get to , therefore, much more exotic.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

p.s. go to sunvalley.com and check out the snow conditions. they have web cams , as well

Sun Valley, ID
Level Contributor
51 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

Hi Nick,

I also wanted to add to check out the Web Specials page on www.visitsunvalley.com, as there are always lodging specials and packages listed there. You can find some really good deals to make the trip more affordable.

We have about 100 inches of man made and natural combined-and its wonderful. Nothing but great comments this season. And Bald Mtn. gives a good mix of groomers, bowls, etc...so you should be able to find the right conditions on the mountain for you. Just follow the sun and you're sure to have a great day!

Enjoy your visit.

Warner Robins...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

I am trying to plan a ski trip out west the week of March 22, 2010. Both of my boys are now in college, so we are going to try and go on their spring break. Someone told us that Sun Valley was a good place to get to - not too far from the airport. And the altitude is not that bad to get acclimated - we are from Middle Georgia. We've always skied on the east coast and have always rented places that are on the slopes - true ski in/out. Can anyone tell me if there are accomodations like that (2 BR condos)and provide any realtors or agencies that handle the rental of these units? Any other tips for planning this trip would be greatly appreciated!

Sun Valley, ID
Level Contributor
51 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

Hi Bwbarfield,

We have limited true ski in/ski out here, but I would check with a few property management companies to see what they have available. ResortQuest Sun Valley and Premier Resorts Sun Valley are the largest...High Country Resort Properties is another good one as well. They have everything from studio condos to homes, so they should have what you're looking for. Enjoy your trip! Glad you can come out here this winter.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

i would try Pennay's at River Run. There are nice condos, with amenities and a short trail through the woods to the lifts. Alan, tows you on his sled. Very quiet, and nice. And affordable. The other ski in /out would be in warm springs and that is a much higher price range.

Warner Robins...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

Thanks for the input - I've looked at Pennay's and that looks like a great spot. One question - how risky will the conditions be in late March. Like I said, we've always skied on the East Coast and I would never plan a trip after February here because the weather is just too iffy. Am I pretty safe to book something for the week of March 22nd?

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

i would say pretty safe, but when you have lived here as long as i have, well, i wouldn't bet on anything...BUT, really, the skiing is possibly the best around that time. You will love the area, very private and fun. lots of great resturants, and some night life. the conditions on the mountain are always tip top, nothing to complain about. you will come and fall in love like i have, and it will be your own ""private idaho", that was a song!!

9. Re: Feb. 2009 - How much snow does Sun Valley have now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sun Valley