We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for short winery tour?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
western usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for short winery tour?

Hi, a friend and I are interested in checking out the wineries around the Snake River Valley. We'd like to stay East, and I see there are only about 4 between Mtn Home and Twin Falls, with a couple near Sun Valley. Can I get input on whether this would be worthwhile, or if we really have to head to West Snake River Valley to make it worthwhile. We only have one day. Would love input from wine lovers, amatuer or expert :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

i am a wine lover and not fond of the wines made in Idaho...if you find out anything else...let me know. my friends make frenchmans gulch wine, but the grapes are from washington and this is good wine, enjoy

western usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

So even if you don't care for the wine, are the wineries worth visiting? We are just going for the experience. We will visit Carmela Vineyards for sure. Have you been to the two near Sun Valley?

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
475 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

We really enjoyed the Cold Springs Winery in Hammett (about half way between Twin Falls and Boise on I-84). The owners, Bill and Bing, were really nice and took plenty of time to show us around. We're not wine experts by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the wine was excellent and we bought several bottles for ourselves and our friends.

Enjoy your visit to Idaho!

western usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

Hi,

Especially Charley 48,

My friend and I have never been to a winery for wine tasting and are looking for a nice, relaxing experience.

Do you think we should go to Frenchmans Gulch, Cold Springs, Thousand Springs, Blue Rock?

We will definitely go to Camelas. We won't make it to the Boise area this time. We're not looking to hit as many vineyards as possilbe, just have a few nice tasting experiences.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

i have no idea about the wineries. the frenchmans gulch is a factory like/store that they have tastings. i think the wine is wonderful and i am very picky, sorry, but we all do have our palates. the owers of the frenchmans have been friends for 30 years. he loved wine,was on the board of trade in chi town, and decided to make his own. a great thing about the store is that it is in sun valley area. visiting a winery, where they grow the grapes and process them there, is more fun, but again, not fond of the wine.

have you ever been to napa/??that is a REAL treat to wine taste there. whatever you do, you will have a fun time.

where are the wineries near sun valley???enjyo

western usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

thanks charley,

the other one listed near sun valley is galena summit and they offer tastings wed & sat 3-5 only. from what i can tell it is very very small.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

never heard of it...where exactly is the winery??enjoy

western usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

galenasummitwinery.com

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

now it think that they are both in sun valley, like show rooms, sort of...so you can come to sun valley and enjoy!!!!

10. Re: Recommendations for short winery tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 11, 2009