We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearby wildfires?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Chicago
Level Contributor
530 posts
72 reviews
Nearby wildfires?

Hello! We'll be arriving in Stanley on 9/10 and staying for 4 nights. I understand there are some fires burning west of Stanley. Wondering if that might impact travel on 21 or any hiking plans we have in the Stanley area. We plan to hike to Sawtooth Lake and Alice Lake.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Idaho
Level Contributor
261 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Nearby wildfires?

The largest right now is the Pioneer Fire in Idaho City area. Smoke may be an issue at time (meaning is pretty thick in the air) but I don't think 21 is closed in any area. Unless something new starts, your access to the lake should be ok.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
550 reviews
2. Re: Nearby wildfires?

look on inciwebll;;they have a great site that tell all about it. Last time i looked, it did look like 21 was closed

Chicago
Level Contributor
530 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Thank you. Inciweb does a lot of good info but hard for me to decipher the text about road closures and I'm having a hard time reading the map. I'll be keeping an eye on how things change over the weekend but I'm a little worried. Wonder if I'm going to need to come up with a plan B.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
550 reviews
4. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Call the Chamber of Commerce in Loman..they will tell you..going to look into it right now

Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
70 posts
144 reviews
5. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Road reports can be found at 511.idaho.gov. Appears to be open at the moment.

Chicago
Level Contributor
530 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Thanks all. With the roads looking good I guess it's just a matter of whether we want to risk the wind blowing in our favor for some decent visibility.

Any suggestions on a back up plan? I'm really keen on visiting the Sawtooths--it seems to me like the best of Idaho, considering how much we love mountains and hiking. I was thinking McCall and a rafting trip out of Riggins. I was also thinking of driving to Grand Teton NP but having a hard time coming up with affordable lodging there.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
550 reviews
7. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Come...the smoke hasn't been that bad..by the way, temperatures dropped by 20 degrees , which is good for the fires.I do hope that it ends soon. When we were up in Stanley, two weeks ago, it was not bad at all. We were just in Boise yesterday, and there was more smoke, by far!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
530 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Thanks, Charley, I really appreciate the reassurance! I looked at the Stanley webcam today and I couldn't tell if it was smokey or just overcast. I'm going to keep an eye on the forecast but would definitely like to keep Stanley on the itinerary.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
550 reviews
9. Re: Nearby wildfires?

It has been overcast and cold..weirdest weather ever..i can remember on Labor Day, it being to hot, the road was tacky as you drove. This year, from 80 to 48 in one day!! But that is mountain living..Clean and you get what you get. I would come, you will absolutely love that area..Come and visit us in Ketchum!!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Nearby wildfires?

Did you end up going to Stanley? If so, how's the air quality?