We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Guides/Advice for Sawtooth

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Hiking Guides/Advice for Sawtooth

My wife and I will be staying at the Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch in early September. What are good day hikes in the area and things we don't want to miss? Also any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Guides/Advice for Sawtooth

There are so many options that it is hard to choose...what is your limit on how many miles you want to hike? Spend some time at Redfish Lake, where you can rent a boat, go horseback riding, chill out on a sandy beach, or hike. One of the most popular hikes from Redfish Lake is to the Bench Lakes (7 miles). Another nice and fairly short day hike is to Fourth of July Lake (approximately 3 1/2 miles), but you have to travel a 10-mile gravel road to get to the trailhead. If you think you can do 12 miles round trip, drive a 2 mile gravel road to Pettit Lake and hike to Alice Lake... one of the most beautiful and frequently photographed lakes in Idaho. In September the stream crossings should be easy and the views incredible. The hiking guide I use is "Adventures in Idaho's Sawtooth Country" by Lynne Stone, although I understand it is out of print. There is only one other guide, and it is called "Trails of the Sawtooth and White Cloud Mountains." It is a newer book so probably has more updated information.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Guides/Advice for Sawtooth

ride the boat across redfish and go to alpine lake or the other side is the climbing wall (very tall mountain) the shangra la...alpine is about 4 miles eachway and not very steep. if you get a early start, cramer lakes is one of the most beautiful. enjoy

http://www.cooltrails.com/baronlks.htm

3. Re: Hiking Guides/Advice for Sawtooth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 08, 2009