We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

We’re driving a small 22’ RV (not towing) and will be entering Idaho on I-84 from Oregon. What would be the best route to reach Stanley (I understand that’s where the Sawtooth Scenic Byway starts/ends)? We don’t mind a good 2-lane mountain road but nothing unpaved, please. GPS takes us off I-84 on Hwy 30 near Hamilton Corner, then the Banks Lowman Road, then Hwy 21 to Hwy 75. Does this seem the best way or is there a better route? Sorry, but I know nothing about this part of Idaho and I’m doing my best to see the gorgeous scenery without too many white knuckle roads. Thank you for any advice/recommendations!

7 replies to this topic
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
1. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

Yes, that is the best way. Not too difficult of a mountain road. So pretty, along the river. Stop in Loman for the coolest hot springs, right there by the road. Waterfalls...pools..great place. You will be fine. and Enjoy Idaho

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
840 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

This is good road all the way, and expect photo ops at nearly every turn! Take your time and enjoy.

Have a great trip,

Pug

Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

Thanks to both of you! Do you have a favorite camp ground or boondocking site along the drive? We don’t need hookups. We’re really looking forward to visiting the area!

Edited: 12:54 pm, July 06, 2018
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
4. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

how far are you driving that day??

Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

Who knows?? We’ll be coming from Oregon on I-84 and are subject to stopping at any given time if we find a pretty and/or interesting spot. We may camp at several spots along the Byway. Yes, being retired is awesome! Thx!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
418 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

Bull Trout camp ground. Lola Creek is nice and usually not as busy. Several boondocking opportunities, but I've only done them in a truck while tent camping. Several closer to Stanley as well.

Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay

Thank you for the information.

Reply to: Sawtooth Scenic ByWay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted