We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Topic
2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip

We are planning a 2 day trip on the Selkirk Loop, leaving and returning to Sandpoint in a clockwise direction. This will be in late September with an overnight in Castlegar, BC.

Anything we should know about construction etc? Have the guidebooks, passport cards, vet records for our dog. Haven't made reservations but have tentatively picked out lodging that is pet friendly. All suggestions will be appreciated.

The only thing we haven't figured out is where we can safely store a firearm in Sandpoint while we are in Canada. All I know is that we can't take it into Canada. Any ideas besides leave it home?

3 replies to this topic
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip

Is there any real reason why you need a firearm other then shooting animals, if not I'd leave it at home.

As far as construction on the roads google Idaho's highways and roads dept. I think they have updated info and web-cams here and there.

It sounds like you have most things covered just make sure you're not taking anything in or out of Canada that you're not suppose to the border agents can be really strict and no nonsense. Also have your auto insurance papers up to date.

Just have a good time and leave the gun at home.

Collie

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip

In 45 years of traveling, we have needed a firearm twice. Both times to convince someone we were NOT easy marks since we were tourists. One time it was a rest area and another time it was an attempted break-in while we in our motel room. As they say, "you might never need it but when you do, you need it really really bad".

And yes, I do know which end of the pistol that the bullet comes out of. My Army drill sergeant was very specific about that.

And no, I don't shoot animals.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip

Gee, you have had some bad luck.

I've traveled all over for many many years and never had a problem.

I don't think anyone will bother you out here .

Just come and have fun and don't worry.

Collie

Reply to: 2 Day Selkirk Loop Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandpoint