We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Show Me the Potatoes

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Pocatello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Show Me the Potatoes

I have a restaurant.com certifcate that I plan to use on my anniversary, but none of the restaurants are listed here. They are Rim Rock Bar & Grill, Pier 49 Pizza, and The Lounge in Red Lion Pocatello. Anyone have an opinion on one of these. I'm leaning away from Pier 49 because I want something a bit more than just a pizza parlor.

I'm looking for local flavor, so if someone knows of a place that has great potato dishes, I'd be open to that instead of the aforementioned. I'm also open to hearing what is considered local flavor. However, it is my goal to have a fantastic fresh potato dish while in Idaho (so I hope to avoid places that import frozen fries from a warehouse in Colorado).

Thanks for any help.

21 replies to this topic
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

seriously, sometimes it is hard to get a idaho potato in idaho...depending where you are. our famous restaurant here in ketchum, used to use, oregon potatoes..as there is more money in exporting them..sad, but ask when you call. it may seem to be a funny question, but that happens sometimes. something that you would never think of!

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
769 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

Our potatoes may be famous, but there's not much imagination in preparing them here. Gnocci? Vichyssoise? Whazzat?? I'm trying to remember if I've ever been offered anything but mashed, baked, or fried here in Spudland. Except of course the place in Rigby that makes vodka. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Have a great trip,

Pug

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

and by the way..that is the vodka that we drink. the owners live 3 doors down!!

Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
68 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

Stevo's in Heyburn (tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35480-d17…) probably has more potato dishes on the menu than any other place in these parts. (And they're Idaho potatoes, too.) Good stuff!

Edited: 11:14 am, July 30, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

Can you give me more information on the distillery in Rigby? I can't find information on TA or Google. Is it somewhere you can visit/tour? I'd be interested in a fresh cocktail made from local vodka.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

Okay, I found the distillery. I was confused because it looks like they are a wholesaler, and their mailing address was in another town. I still can't find any information on tours and whether they sell anything there (I'm guessing no on the latter).

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

www.blueicevodka.com heres the website...give them a call. don't know if they do tastings, anywhere but the sun valley food show.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

Charley, what's funny is that WA state produces more or as many potatoes as Idaho but of course lots go overseas. I guess nobody around here pays that much attention to making unusual potato dishes, I guess we take them for granted.To bad.

Collie

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

when i worked in the business..i was a bit shocked that the potatoes here went to export...what??? but that is what happens.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Show Me the Potatoes

and in idaho..there is more than just a potato..but don't tell anyone.

Reply to: Show Me the Potatoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted