We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Idaho Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

I spent a year as a kid in Idaho Falls and have never returned but have never forgotten the wonderful memory of it. Now my wife and I, and another couple, all in our 60's but avid hikers would like to come to Idaho for a week long hiking vacation. Ideally we would like to base ourselves in a nice hotel, bed and breakfast, or lodge, and spend the days hiking and the nights eating and drinking! We would surely appreciate help on what area of Idaho to base ourselves in....I would love it if it were near Idaho Falls and the Snake ( an old Ernie Schweibert fan- don't tell the other hikers) or Sun Valley but it has been so long since I have been there. Really would appreciate all ideas! The walking trips along the Snake look great but honestly we would like to try and avoid tents. Much appreciated!

ZB

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

Hi zabriskibound,

For a hiking vacation I'd really recommend Sun Valley over Idaho Falls. There aren't a lot of hiking trails near IF proper, so you'd be driving out to a trailhead to get started anyway. Sun Valley is already in the mountains, so you'd just be that much closer to your starting points.

On top of that, Idaho Falls just ain't what it used be for getting a few drinks. Back in the days when the Navy was in town, it was nick-named "Alcohol Falls" by the Mormon community. Now, most of the bars are long gone. There are still a few - just not as many as there once were. Again, I think you're going to get a lot more choices in the Sun Valley area.

If I were you, I'd fly into I.F., have a look around to reminisce, then rent a car and drive to Hailey or Ketchum.

charley can give you some nightlife recommendations, but if you want a fun place for cheap beer and pool I always recommend the Wicked Spud in Hailey. Good burgers, bands on the weekends.

We moved from I.F. to Wisconsin in 2008 - so we're now neighbors to the north of you. I love going back to Idaho for visits, too. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

HI

Just about anywhere in idaho has hiking eating and drinking.

Sun Valley, Stanley, McCall even Boise

In Boise you can stay downtown more than enough bars and restuarants

to last for months never going to the same one twice LOL

from downtown you can hike the greenbelt along the river for miles " about 25 miles" or a short 10 min drive gets you to the foothills and 1'2 hr gets you to the mountans.

If in early spring the desert is the place to hike.

what time of the year are you comming. as that will help decide which area to go.

I would say put a map of idaho on the wall and throw a dart. no matter where it hits you will have a fantastic trip.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

i would say, combine the sun valley and stanley area...sun valley for the great hikes, like pioneer cabin, way up in the pioneer mountains. the cabin was used in the early 30's for mountaineering skiing, and now is a popular hike. fab views. and the eating and drinking in the area is wonderful. BUT, the sawtooth mountains provide great backpacking, wonderful long hikes to hidden lakes (google sawtooth lake, not hidden, but the most photographed lake in the area and oh, too many to name...alice , cabin creek, alpine, cramer...) you can go to redfish lake and take the boat across, and choose from lots of different lakes.

stanley area has goat, sawtooth and many more. the eating in stanley is wonderful now that we have the stanley bakery, and the sawtooth hotel. all run by the same, young great chefs!! and fun to stay at the old hotel, as well.

those are some of my choices.

don't forget all the hot springs in the area.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great ideas. We are thinking of July or August. Sun Valley and Stanley sound really good.....is there desert in Idaho too....did not kow that! I will research those two areas. Much appreciated!

When in Idaho Falls it was indeed because my father was associated with the military. That surely was years ago. I did not know it was called "alcoholic falls" ! I was a bit too young! What I remember is cowboy boots, fishing, and big sky, and the Snake and backyard salmon fries. Salmon?

ZB

5. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:43 am, August 14, 2011
idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

any more info, we have lots...

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

HI

most of southern Idaho is a high plains desert you do not want to be out there in July and August. unless you are a mad dog or englishman LOL

but it is not like the typical desert you see in arizona. no cactus but lots of scrub brush and sage brush deep canyons and lots of wind.

Idaho only gets about 10 inches of moisture a year. so without irrigation and canals there would be no farming

If you drive I 84 from idaho falls to boise it looks like a waste land but once you get off the interstate you can find some fantastic sites and views..

once you get up into the mountians then you have trees and greenery and much cooler.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

Okay guys what about northern Idaho it has all of that and more. All the lakes and rivers and mountains. Yes I know she mentioned southern Idaho but so many people don't even know about northern Idaho and what it has to offer. Very sad.

Collie

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

it isn't that SAD...come on...and who is "she"..? am i lost?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Combine Hiking and Eating and Drinking in Idaho?!!!

Hey charlie it is sad in it's own way cause most people just think of southern Idaho and there is more to Idaho then just the south. You are right it should have been HE not she meant he duh on my part.

Thanks for the heads up.

Collie