We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Hauser Lake Like?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
16 reviews
What's Hauser Lake Like?

We decided on a northern-Idaho vacation a little late this year and a lot of vacation rentals are booked up. By the time the end of July gets here, we'll have one almost 1-year old and a 16 year old. We're looking for a woodsy cabin that is on a lake for swimming and driving distance to other activities on days we don't want to relax at the cabin (but looking forward to mostly those).

There are a few cabins on Hauser Lake that seem to fit the bill, but I know very little about this lake. Is this a good lake for boating and swimming? We're looking for something with a little sand and shallows for the baby and a dock for the teenager to jump off of. One place seems real nice in the pictures and comes with a reasonably priced pontoon boat, but nothing beats asking a local.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

Sorry none of us has the information you are seeking. There are only a couple of us that are located in the North Idaho/Eastern Washington area.

Pam

seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

Thanks for the reply.

3. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

Come to coeur d alene north idaho. Or up to sandpoint. You may not find a cheap "cabin" but there is alot of other hotels and what not. Lots of lakes/rivers/creeks to choose from . Never been huaser . But a day trip wouldnt be to far.

seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

We're back from our trip to north Idaho. And since there is not a lot of info on the forum, I thought I'd answer my question.

Hauser Lake is a medium size lake about 20-25 minutes from Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and Silverwood. There is a public beach with maintained swimming area and boat launch and you often see power boaters and fishermen. The water is clear but some of the private beach areas are suffering from heavy milfoil growth a few feet out. Swimming off a private dock may not be advisable.

It's a quiet country area with one great local restaurant: Embers wood-fired pizza. We got take out from there our last night to enjoy on our deck overlooking the lake. If we had done it sooner, we'd probably have gone back for sure. Be warned on a weekend it gets busy.

Nearest shopping for groceries we found is at the new Wal-Mart 10 minutes away by 1-90. If you are looking for something quieter or less expensive than the more touristy locations (or they're already booked), it's not a bad option. Before arriving, we spent 3 nights at the resort in Coeur d'Alene. We returned to Coeur d'Alene from Hauser for one day of beach activities, went to Silverwood the next and the last day, dropped the teenagers off for a second day at Silverwood while the husband and I explored Sandpoint.

I'll try to add a trip report to the forum when I have more time. During our one week vacation, we rode the Route of Hiawatha mountain bike trail near Lookout Pass, parasailed, kayaked and paddle-boated over Lake Coeur d'Alene, rode thrill rides and enjoyed the lazy river ride at Silverwood/Boulder Beach, and ate great tacos in Sandpoint. Northern Idaho is a great place for a family vacation!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

Thanks for that information! Now if someone looks for that on TA ID Forums... they'll have a good resource.

Edited: 7:35 pm, August 13, 2014
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
101 reviews
6. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

I'm with BlueBirdDay. Thanks so much for posting your experience! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Pam

7. Re: What's Hauser Lake Like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 15, 2015