We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

First off – LOVED THIS TRIP!!! Not only the scenery, but THESE PEOPLE ARE THE NICEST WE HAVE EVER MET!!!

Next – My wife and LOVE breweries – that will be a theme! Happy to report we conquered the InlaNd Ale Trail in 4 days, and were rewarded with 32 oz commementartive “grunts”.

July 13 – landed in Spokane from Reno in mid afternoon. Hit Perry St BC in Spokane. Wonderful neighborhood, and was able to check out a nice farmers market! On way to Red Lion hotel in Post Falls, found Post Falls BC – very nice brewery. After checking in and enjoying a little nap, went to Republic Kitchen + taphouse in PF. Place is new – dishwasher was just being installed, so all on paper plates. Food, drink, ambiance all great – is in a historic building. After dinner more breweries - hit Downdraft and then Selkirk Abbey in PF – the latter serving up great Belgian brews and is a breath of fresh air when many breweries serve up similar fair. Downdraft apparently is a great place to catch Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune!

July 14 – Sat on the excellent patio for breakfast at Red Lion – just beautiful scenery along the Spokane River there! What’s a great way to work off that breakfast – a nice hike up Mineral Ridge on the east side of CDA Lake. Nice short moderate hike, well worth the effort worth great views! And of course the reward for the hike – beer! We went up to Hayden and went to great mad Bomber BC – the beer tap handles were great, but the beer was better! Our bartender came out and sat with us and chatted for while. After, we made our way to Trickster in an industrial location – solid beer there! We had to be quick at last place, because we had 2:30 cruise to catch Lake CDA. Spent 90 minutes on the lake – just gorgeous. We imagined all the wealthy folks who live upon those shores! After a relaxing ride – we were hungry and thirsty. Daft Badger Brewing was more than willing to accommodate – I personally make the best nachos in the world – this place is second best and is NOT to be missed! After that, a quick jaunt to Slate Creek – solid beers, but a little too warm!

NOTE: Red Lion is fantastic – but with one MAJOR flaw – several times we had to get another key card because of problems with their door readers. It was a common problem voiced by other guests…

July 15 – Today we focus westward – did a very nice hike at Liberty Lake trail. Be sure to bring insect repellent – the hike is gorgeous and lots of shade, but as you get close to the grove, the skeeters will get ya! A women coming down the trail gratefully offered hers! So sweet! After 6 miles of hiking….it was time…to hydrate in Spokane Valley! We started at 12 strings – they do some great barrel aged brews, including the memorable Hefeweisen mango aged in a tequilla barrel! Then we went to BadA$$ brewing – great place and LOVE seeing a female owned brewery. Lastly, we hit up English Setter, which did have food, so we had some snacks there. The people were super friendly, and you have to LOVE their tagline “Sit, Stay”. After that it was back to Post Falls – we worked up a mighty hunger by now, and had awesome BBQ at Willies. Awesomely good and authentic – love the old pictures on wall and the 8 track tapes! What a classic! Ended the day, at Post Falls BC – just because this brewery is wicked awesome and walking distance to hotel to boot!

July 16 – Ugh, do we have to leave!!!?!? Another breakfast on the patio – the highlight was seeing an eagle swoop down and hearing a screeching sound. Awww nature! I had “wild kingdom” music playing in my head! We checked out of Red Lion, and headed for Spokane for the day! Parked near pedestrian bridge north of the Spokane river. What a great downtown – GREAT!!! Unfortunately as all the locals know, the downtown park is under renovation. I would love to come back when all is open, because LOTS to do and see! I wish Reno downtown had all the cool park stuff – the ice rink, ferris wheel, merry go round, sculptures, waterfalls, and more! We walked a loop around the downtown, enjoying the scenery, and of course, hydrating. Iron Goat was first stop – we loved most their stuff, great space! Then across town we made it to Black Label in the very bohemian French type market – bartender was great and their beer was excellent! We were hungry after and made our way to Mod Pizza – finally our first time there after hearing all about it! Was very good! Last, made it to Bellwether – I don’t agree with all their beer in taste, but LOVE they are doing lots of interesting styles found in few places – a must stop! Lastly, we close day heading to Ramada by the airport for early morning flight back home. Au revoir, we will MISS this area dearly!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,549 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

What a terrific Trip Report! I'm glad you enjoyed North Idaho - I think it's a terrific place too.

Idaho
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report
Idaho Division of Tourism What's this?

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Idaho and thank you for sharing your experience! Fantastic report for anyone planning a visit to North Idaho.

Content provided by the Idaho Division of Tourism: visitidaho.org
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

Ran across your report and so glad I did! We are going up next week and staying at the same hotel, never been to that part of Idaho. Glad that we picked a good hotel, my Grandson can't wait to swim and head up to Silverwood! Thank you again!

Amber and Family

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

Idaho is so nice (my sister lives in Sandpoint so we visit every so often).

Thanks for such a nice trip report.

5. Re: Spokane-Posta Falls-Couer D’Alene June 2017 trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 07, 2018