We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November weekend trip from Boise

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
November weekend trip from Boise

Where should my wife and I go for a weekend trip from Boise November 4-7th? Sun Valley seems to be the obvious choice via Banks and Stanley, but what can we expect for driving conditions, roads and winter weather in the mountains? Should we take the south route to Sun Valley or is the north route open too?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

you never know!! No one will know what the conditions would be..so can you wait till it gets closer?? I love the northern route, but we will have to wait and see...you can google what USUALLY the weather would be in November...Sun Valley for sure..

Idaho
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November weekend trip from Boise
Idaho Division of Tourism What's this?

As Charley48 mentioned above, there is no way to know what the weather would be like in November. The north route would be a beautiful drive depending on road conditions.

This website from the Idaho State Transportation Department can tell you road conditions when it gets closer to your travel dates. lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/511info.jsf…

Content provided by the Idaho Division of Tourism: visitidaho.org
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

Thanks, I have winter driving skills as I live in Minnesota. That said, I really don't want a four hour drive to Sun Valley and back to Boise.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

Well, just plan on going the regular way, and if the conditions are good, book it the other way...ya just NEVER know!! So happy that you are coming to my part of Idaho!! you are from Boise, and never been here..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

A more dependable scenic area to visit in 'iffy' weather would be the Snake River Gorge & Thousand Springs area On the 30 ... Bliss to Twin Falls ... carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

YEs, that would/could be fun, but 1 1/2 hours more, and i don't like that drive if it is icy..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

The expressed idea in # 5 ... Was to provide a shorter "foul weather" alternative... To the higher elevation drives ... Boise to Ketchum ... carracar

Edited: 10:12 am, September 29, 2016
idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

When the weather is horrible, we take #26 from Shoshone thru Gooding to 84...That is in mid winter for us..

So for the OP, if it is snowing and blowing, you can look into that route.

Idaho
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November weekend trip from Boise
Idaho Division of Tourism What's this?

Southwest Idaho winery tour idahowines.org/uploads/…20District.pdf.

Bitner Vineyards has a bed and breakfast. Weiser has a hotel, wineries, Weiser River Trail, Weiser Candy Co, old depot, etc.

Idaho City? https:/… and visit The Springs Resort https:/…

Content provided by the Idaho Division of Tourism: visitidaho.org
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
411 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November weekend trip from Boise

If the weather allows, drive to Ketchum and Sun Valley and spend the night. Next day, drive to Twin Falls and stop at the Indian Ice Caves and Shoshone Falls (although probably not much water flowing at that time,) and continue to Jackpot and spend your second night. Drive back to Boise through Bliss and Hagerman and 1,000 Springs (maybe soak in a hot pool.) Stop at Carmella Winery for lunch on your final leg back to Boise.