We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Boise

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Relocating to Boise

We are relocating to Boise and although I lived in the area many years ago, I know it has changed so I am curious about the best areas to live and also the best schools.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Boise

totally depends on what you are intersted in...and the values of the homes, may decide for you. a good broker will answer all your questions.

i love the north end, small , quaint, and have no idea about the schools. the foothills are great. i couldn't live in the MIDDLE of town.

best bet..start with calling the chamber of commerce.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Boise

Tar, you won't know the place! The downtown has been cleaned up and improved considerably. Meridian, Eagle, and Star are now bedroom communities. Charley is right, a real estate agent can give you the information you need.

Yours,

Pug

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Boise

Thank you for the information! I have been in contact with a couple of real estate agents and they are telling me Meridian, Star or Eagle. I am moving from a small town in NC and although I want to live near a large city, I still want the "hometown" feel. I am wondering if the outskirts of Boise will have that same type area?

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Boise

to me..the charm is lost on meridian, star and eagle..flat, filled with big box stores..ughhh...depends on what you are looking for? do you have time to think, once you get there?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to Boise

Hopefully I will have some time to re-learn the area, I just want to make sure I choose a low crime area with good schools and a good neighborhood. I wasn't concerned until I started reading other threads and some people are really slamming some of the areas around Boise.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating to Boise

never read anything about slamming parts of boise???

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
29 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating to Boise

Hi there! I live in NW Meridian and really enjoy the area. I feel safe and secure in that part of town. Growing up in a suburb of Phoenix, Meridian is still a smaller town than what I've been used to and I enjoy shopping at the big box stores. There's a ton of retail and commercial development taking place near the Meridian/Boise border on Eagle Rd, particularly the Eagle and Fairview intersection. I would consider living in Star or Eagle, but it's a bit harder to commute from those areas if you work in central Boise. While the north end of Boise does have some cute homes and shops, I don't think I'd want to live there. I personally like having CC&Rs in my neighborhood to make sure the home next door doesn't have cars parked on the front lawn or is painted bright purple or something like that. But, to each his own! :)

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating to Boise

that is so funny..i wouldn't buy a house with cars on the front lawn...

Boise ID
Level Contributor
19 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating to Boise

I am a big fan of Southeast Boise ( lived here since 95). I personally dislike commutes, so I would look for housing close to your employment .

Edited: 11:01 am, April 06, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating to Boise

Altho we don't have any purple houses in our neighborhood I am not sure what a CC&R is?

BTW, there are a couple of purple houses in Moscow ID which actually are quite good-looking! They are mostly renovated Victorian types.

Pam