We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McCall or Sun Valley

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Boise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
McCall or Sun Valley

We have friends and family who plan a ski trip each year and are considering McCall or Sun Valley. Any suggestions on which to go for? We will fly into Boise in late February or mid March. Will the snow still be good in March? Which town will have more to do and see when we aren't on the slopes? We like to have other things to do and good nihgt life or restauarnts to choose from. Any input would be appreciated.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

hands down sun valley...ketchum, really. lots to do, great restaurants (mccall...humm, not so many), and you can walk everywhere. have you ever checked out the skiing in SV??/ one of the best resorts in the world...hot springs, bike path to skate ski...so much to do.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

ps...good snow in march...oh, yeah...been here 36 years...and the view..not too bad

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

Thanks so much. That is exactly what I needed to know. That extra 50 mile drive will be worth it I am sure. Let it snow!

Idaho
Level Contributor
481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McCall or Sun Valley
Idaho Division of Tourism What's this?

Both areas offer a great family experience especially in March when the snow is still great and local skiers are starting to switch gears towards spring pursuits. Sun Valley is the original ski area in the US and thus has great tradition, an incredible mountain that offers a lot of diversity and offers other amenities including nice restaurants and some night life in Ketchum. They also have ice-skating at the Sun Valley Resort, great cross country skiing around the area and beautiful scenery. McCall is another great location with two great ski resorts within 20 minutes of town. Brundage is about 10-15 minutes away and their backside skis down towards McCall and Payette Lake. Their tagline is “Best Snow in Idaho” as it’s usually pretty dry and fluffy. They also have a wide variety of fun terrain to ski and very rarely are there very long lift lines. The other resort outside McCall is Tamarack. This is the US’s newest ski area and was starting to be an up and coming Resort before the financial crisis hit a few years ago. They closed down for a while but re-opened last year and are planning on being open again this year. From the top there are stunning views of Cascade Lake and the terrain offers a great day of skiing. McCall also offers many other things to do besides downhill skiing. They have an extensive system of cross country ski trails, a very fun tubing hill, an ice rink that has ice-skating, curling and hockey throughout the week and a couple of micro-breweries and several family friendly restaurants in town. So, I guess I’m trying to say that you can’t go wrong with either McCall or Sun Valley as they are both pretty special places.

Content provided by the Idaho Division of Tourism: visitidaho.org
Edited: 11:01 am, November 22, 2011
idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

let me know if you use vrbo and i will check out the location for you!!!

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

Thanks for all the help and information!

7. Re: McCall or Sun Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, November 23, 2012