We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Stuart, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

Is there a place where I can stay overnight and go on a horse back ride to see the Owhee region? I've read the wild horses are to be seen in the Homedale - Silver City area.

Thanks for any help!

Idaho
Level Contributor
229 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

Hi - do you have horses or are you looking for a guide? The herd near Challis can sometimes be seen from the highway - but at a distance. You may want to check with either the BLM or forest service for additional advice.

Stuart, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

Hi Thanks for commenting! No, I don't have my own horse. I was thinking if I could get a guided horseback ride, it would take me off the roads and be more likely to see them.

Thx!

Idaho
Level Contributor
229 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

You may want to try Elkhorn Stables in the Mackay area for a horseback guide. Mackay has two hotels, The Wagon Wheel and The Bear Bottom Inn. Challis has lodging available as well - Challis Hot Springs B&B might be fun - they have non sulfur pools and it is nice to swim there in the mornings while it is still cool - nothing fancy at any of the above places, but clean and nice staff. Good luck.

Stuart, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

HI

Homedale and Silver City are no where near Challis.

the Owyee's are about 200 miles from Mackay and the white clouds.

the Owyee's are in the high desert along the Nevada Oreogon Idaho border

gets very hot and dry in the summer months. not very many tourist accomadations.

Idaho
Level Contributor
229 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

I understand that as well however he did say the Challis herd and unless there is a herd also named Challis in the Homedale and Silver City area - which there may be - I thought he might have been confused. Regardless - there is a herd between Challis and Mackay that can be seen from the highway at times or with the help of a guide.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,032 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

and above salmon , is the 100 acre b and b...fabulous place and you can hit the hot springs that are nearby.

8. Re: Challis herd wild horse viewing/ lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 02, 2012