We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stephen C. Foster State Park - Okefenokee Water Levels/Fires

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Stephen C. Foster State Park - Okefenokee Water Levels/Fires

Hello Everyone, hoping someone can shed some light on the current conditions at Okefenokee and specifically the Stephen C. Foster State Park area. I've been to SCF and Okefenokee several times over the years but have not been there since approximately the year 2000. I've seen and read a little about current water level conditions due to drought and other factors along with the wildfires from last year I believe causing poor visiting conditions for the Okefenokee and such low water levels and you can not use a jon boat or get through many areas. Can someone please tell me what the current conditions are and if it would be worth it for me to plan a trip. I would honestly be very saddened if the area is devastated and if we drove the 900 miles to visit if we were not able to go enjoy the waterways and such. ALSO, my previous visits have always been in the spring so I'm not sure what the CURRENT (May/June) weather (bugs) conditions would be and what are the chances of seeing a good deal of wildlife/gators and such in May/June. Any news/updates and suggestions are appreciated. This is such a magical lovely place and I've been yearning to go back for many years but I want to go at the right time and in the right conditions. If May/June is not a good time, would you recommend the fall, perhaps August/September or even October/November?

Thanks much everyone!!

Okefenokee Swamp Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Okefenokee Swamp Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Educational sites
Laura S. Walker State Park
State Parks, Bodies of Water
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stephen C. Foster State Park - Okefenokee Water Levels/Fires

Nolagal

I was at the Okefenokee just before New Years on the Folkston (Eastern) side of the swamp and there was plenty of water and barely a sign of the wildfires. You should just call the state park and ask them specifically about your concerns.

As far as wildlife we saw gators,turtles, snakes and lots of birds in December so I'm sure that won't be a problem this time of year but the bugs will!

The temps were in the low 70's then and I can imagine might be pretty uncomfortable in late spring. I've always heard the best time to visit is between November and April.

2. Re: Stephen C. Foster State Park - Okefenokee Water Levels/Fires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Waycross