We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowded Beaches?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crowded Beaches?

I just stumbled on Tybee Island in my search for a family vacation location for my 6, 4, and 2 year olds. Are the beaches crowded in mid-August? I'd like a beach where my kids can run around the beach but I can watch them from my chair. I've heard amazing things about Savannah and the Tybee summer rental rate looks reasonable.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

J

Boston
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowded Beaches?

It probably will be crowded but what beach isn't during the Summer? Its a very wide beach and most people go there from the Pavilion area (a wonderful, long, large deck thing that goes out over the water for fishing) as there is a parking lot there. You can take advantage of the shops for ice cream, bathrooms at the Pavilion, the little aquarium/museum next to the Pavilion, food, etc so it really is a good spot with kids. But yes, there will likely be many people enjoying the beach also.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowded Beaches?

Crowded as compared to where? The NE? No. The southern beaches don't get crazy crowded like the ones in the NE.

More good news - if you are coming mid-August, southern schools will already have started back. That means the locals won't be at the beach during the week.

I've been to Tybee many times, but I've never seen it really crowded.

Tybee Island...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowded Beaches?

In mid August you should be fine. Over the years I been to Tybee at various times of the year any never found the beaches over-crowded. In fact I went during 4th of July week a couple of years ago and there were people on the beaches but it was far from crowded. Mid island is always less crowded than the south end, plus the mid island area has Memorial Park which would be great for your children's ages. Here is a site I find useful for various info on Tybee Island. http://tybeeislandgainfo.com/

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowded Beaches?

Tybee is perfect for your family's age range, you are the "poster family" for who goes to Tybee. As your kids get to be pre-teen to teen they will find it boring, but it is perfect for you for now.

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowded Beaches?

Peak vacation time are the months May/June/July as schools are out. Kids down south are back in school around 8/10 or early August, so while August is still a busy vacation month, it's not as busy as the 3 prior months. Most crowded area is right by the pier(16th st). Enter the beach on 12th st say, & it will be less crowded than the pier, 16th st, but the pier w/ bathroom facilities is still an easy walk from the 12th st entrance. Google Mermaid Cottages for a sampling of classic Tybee cottages. Regards..

sandyville, ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowded Beaches?

Stay around the DeSoto Beach Hotel/water tower area. That is the more family beach area. Less people. The younger party crowd hang around close to the pier. party by the pier.

Edited: 8:37 pm, January 24, 2014
sandyville, ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowded Beaches?

Stay around the DeSoto Beach Hotel/water tower area. That is the more family beach area. Less people. All the young crowd party by the pier.

Tybee Island...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowded Beaches?

It will be slightly crowded if you are near the pier on the south end of the island. Crowds are easily avoidable here though! Especially if you are mid-island near Desoto or Beach Side Colony. Take it from a beach bum/surfer that gets annoyed with crowded waters.

While you are in the area, a good family fun activity that you should check out while on Tybee Island is Sundial Charters. They take families out to the surrounding islands to beach comb, shelling, and fossil hunting. They also do tours where you can spend the day fishing, crabbing or looking for bottle nose dolphins. ( http://sundialcharters.com/nature-tours/ )

9. Re: Crowded Beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations