We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

trip report Tybee Island

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
278 reviews
trip report Tybee Island

Here are a few highlights and maybe a couple of not-so highlights from a week's trip to Tybee Island. As I said in a separate post, we liked dealing with Tybeecottages.com and highly recommend. Not budget rates but you def get what you pay for, and not out of line for in-season cottage rates. Good management and assistance if we needed. Mermaid rentals also looks like they keep up their property but some other companies do not seem to do so. First, about selecting Tybee in the first place, If you are used to fairly populated beaches, and don’t demand diverse shopping and dining, Tybee is fine. What I like about it most, is its proximity to downtown historic Savannah (20 minute mostly beautiful drive) and the diversity and friendliness of the people on Tybee and in Savannah. I also like that there are no hi-rise condos on Tybee, with about 3-4-story max throughout the island. My fav part of the beach just for walking, is the extreme end of the island, though (unlike most of the other beach there) it has some dangerous current out there so not good for swimming. My first suggestion is to rent bikes. The beach is a little difficult to ride on in most cases, but Second Avenue stretches across the island and is a designated low traffic bikeway. It is good for even little kids. We rented from Tim’s and he delivered and picked up our bikes. One place I recommend for riding is about a six-mile stretch out on the marsh on a former train right of way converted to bike path. It needs maintenance and parts are washed away but we loved what was there. It is accessible from the highway just before you get to Tybee. You have to either bring a bike rack or have a large enough car to fit the bikes in, as it is hard to bike there from Tybee due to a highway bridge. The other area, which is nice to explore by bike, is around an old fort and lighthouse and in the neighborhoods around it. This area is on the left as you come into Tybee, near the beach. We also biked in early evening to a pier way out at the end of Second Avenue (then turn right a few blocks) – families were fishing and catching tiny sharks and sting rays). The Tybee shopping and menus are slightly disappointing compared to Savannah - mostly souvenir type places and fried seafood. The grocery shopping was pricey, crowded and generally poor. I would avoid the IGA and bring groceries from the Publix, or other stores on the mainland. We liked Bowie’s seafood (blue building as you come into Tybee on the left) and would buy fresh grouper or something each day and cook ourselves. It can get pricey but we enjoyed everything we had and they give good advice. In general, Tybee may not be America’s best beach vacation spot, but we liked the proximity to Savannah, and Tybee is laid back, the people seemed real nice there and we had some nice walks and bike rides.

Edited: 10:11 am, July 03, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,361 posts
354 reviews
1. Re: trip report Tybee Island

Thanks for posting. I think people love Tybee so much because it is friendly and so close to Savannah.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: trip report Tybee Island

Thanks so much for posting about your trip -- it is helpful as we are making our first trip to Tybee next week. I was wondering what the ocean conditions were like -- my son is really nervous about jellyfish -- did you see many? Thanks again.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
239 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: trip report Tybee Island

Thank you very much for a nice report on Tybee and Savannah. That's our favorite our place to go every summer and it's great to hear others that truly enjoy being there

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
278 reviews
4. Re: trip report Tybee Island

GA family 5: I'm no expert on the water conditions but I heard of no problems regarding jellyfish. It was a big family beach with lots of kids having much fun. There are attentive life guards all up and down the beach. The only warnings which we heard about was the erratic current at the far end of the island. It is beautiful out there - great for walking but not good for swimming or even playing in tide pools.

PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: trip report Tybee Island

My husband and I travel quite a bit and we try to patronize the local businesses. The IGA on Tybee might be a little higher, but the folks that work there are great. We got all the fixens for a Thanksgiving dinner and I don't think we paid over $30. The chef at Doc's Bar is world class and his food is to die for and we haven't had fried food there yet. The oysters on the half shell at Bernies are wonderful and the food at Sunday Cafe is world class. We have been to the Crab Shack and was not impressed with the food, but the atmoshpere is worth the trip. We love Tybee Island and look forward to our next trip in November.

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: trip report Tybee Island

Thank you for your wonderful report on tybee !!! Next time we hope you'll consider staying with us at mermaid cottages! Again our thanks for sharing about tybee

Boston
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: trip report Tybee Island

I have to comment myself about the food as its NOT all fried! We've been many times, with many more to go until we actually get to move there permanently and as cmlantz points out there are some great non-fried food options. Sure, the fried food is there like it is all over the USA but you can pretty easily find great food on Tybee!

8. Re: trip report Tybee Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, September 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island