We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities on Tybee Island

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Activities on Tybee Island

I'm trying to plan for a few things to do while we're on vacation. Does anyone have any opinions on these things?

I plan to rent bikes. I see that there are two places that rent them--Tim's Beach Gear or Fat Tire Bikes (or something similar). Is any one place better than the other?

We are also interested in going kayaking. I see there are also a couple of options for that. Both places offer 3 hours tours--one to Little Tybee and the other to various places, including Cockspur Island. Any opinions? We have only been kayaking once before, so I don't feel like we're experienced enough to just rent a kayak and go it alone.

Lastly, I want to do a sunset cruise. Captain Mike does these, as does another place. I want to say the name was Captain Derek maybe. Any ideas about who has the better cruise?

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

I think the bike rental thing is really a matter of the best price or which place is closer to where you are staying. If you get a bike that is weird, take it back and get another. A bike is a bike when you are talking about beach cruisers.

I would rather go to Little Tybee if I had to choose, it is a great area to explore. Our son spent his honeymoon there.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

I would go with Brain on this one. The bike rental would be which one is closer. I would do the little Tybee kayak tour. It will give you a good look at the barrier Islands and the marshes. The Cockspur tour would be past the shrimp boat docks and the light house. Depending on the tide Cockspur island may be under water. Also it is just an oyster mound with a small non working light house. If you want to do a light house go to the big one at Tybee's north beach. Also both Kayak tour companies on the island are good.

For the sunset cruise go with Capt. Mike dolphin tour. He has been doing these tours for years. On this tour you will go by the Cockspur Light house and the same area as the lighthouse kayak tour.

Have fun

Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

We are going to the Tybee Island Lighthouse. I would like to see the Cockspur Island Lighthouse as well. I thought it would be neat to go inside it, but maybe it's not that interesting. The kayak place's website did say that tours vary based on tides, so I suspect that tour is not always going to be an option.

What's interesting about Little Tybee? My husband likes to take pictures. It looks like it may be a good place to see a lot of birds.

Do the bike rental places on Tybee not deliver the bikes? If I'm going to have to walk to get the bikes, then certainly, we'll go with the one that is closer.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

Little Tybee is a natural Barrier Island as they appear on the Georgia coast. On "Tybee" the beaches are pumped with sand to have a nice beach. On little Tybee it has not been pumped with sand. Here you will see the island the way nature makes it. there will be dead trees and stuff on the beach. The only way to the island is by boat. Now in the summer there will be lots of people there on the weekend enjoying the area. If your husband likes to take pictures he will like it.

I have been to cockspur light house several times. The light house is about 35 to 50 feet tall. At high tide the little island is now under water. The water at times is almost to the thrush hole of the door. A few years ago they painted it and replace the cover at the top. To climb the stairs to the top is tight. The last time I was there the birds which enter it had left a mess. If you go have on some shoes because of the oyster shells.

I do not know if the bike shops on the island deliver or not. I looked on the web site but it did not say.

Which part of the island will you be staying?

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

Tims beach gear delivers and picks up bikes.

Sunset cruise. My favorite. Www.fishtybee.com. Fossil cruises too and the best dolphin cruise

Smaller boat so not so many people with you

Capt elizabeth is a friend and neighbor of mine.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

Tims beach gear delivers and picks up bikes.

Sunset cruise. My favorite. Www.fishtybee.com. Fossil cruises too and the best dolphin cruise

Smaller boat so not so many people with you

Capt elizabeth is a friend and neighbor of mine.

Yes. Definitely kayak to Little Tybee. Even experienced kayakers need to be familiar with the Back River. Lots of oyster beds if low tide

Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

Thanks everyone. It looks like our kayak trip will be to Little Tybee. I will also look at Captain Elizabeth's website. I haven't seen that one yet.

Tybee Island GA
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

Yes, and her husband, Cecil - a retired Captain SAV firefighter is also a boat captain www.fishtybee.com I always recommend them to my guests

9. Re: Activities on Tybee Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island