We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on Georgia Islands

madrid
3 posts
Save Topic
Need help on Georgia Islands

We are planning a visit to georgia this august and i am a little bit overwhelmed having read some guide surfed the net i still havent made out my mind on what to see gven limited time. so here is the question. my plan is visit cape canaveral and then saint augustine. but from there north i am lost. amelia beach, jekyll islands, tybee, hilton head????? i will be travelling with 3 kiddos aged 8 7 and 3 adn we like relaxed laid back not too destroyed by mass tourism type of places. thanks from Spain

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

I have not been on Amelia Island in years so I can not say anything about it. Tybee and Jekyll are really laid back beaches. They have some stuff to do but are not mass tourism type places. St. Simons is also nice. Hilton Head is really developed and is more stuff to do. There are a lot of shops, golf courses, etc.

Jekyll does have summer waves water park which the older 2 may like.

madrid
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

thanks a lot john

madrid
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

in tybee where you are expert. what would you recommend we do? i have seen there is a dolphin cruise and a fort pu,,,,. anything else you recommend? also any place to stay that you would recommend

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

Hilton Head is a great place to visit but it's too big for me. I also like Tybee because it's not so big you can't get around to the great places.

I suggest Amelia Island. Fernadina Beach is a neat town and there are great restaurants there. The Ritz Carlton is a great hotel but there are others that are more reasonable. Enjoy your trip.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
210 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

If you stay on Tybee I definitely recommend Captain Mike's Dolphin Cruise. There is also a small museum near the pier that the kids will enjoy. There is a lighthouse where you can climb the stairs to the top, but I have never done it. The kids I took there enjoyed Old Fort Jackson in Savannah (17 miles away) more than Fort Pulaski. But we spent most of our time at the beach.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

Tybee aounds perfect for you. Perfext waves for skim boarding. Favorite youth sport. Ride bikes everywhere. 78 alligators at The Crab Shack. Climb to the top of the restored lighthpuse. Kayak. Jet ski. Fossel digs on barrier islands. Have a crab boil after catching own crab off pier with string and chicken neck

7. Re: Need help on Georgia Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations