We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

I'm looking for opinions/advice for our family vacation. We're looking at Tybee Island as well as St.Simons, Jekyll, Amelia, as well as few SC beaches for our family vacation. Our kids are 6,6, and 4, so we mostly just stay on the beach. I don't want a crazy Myrtle Beach or Daytona scene, but we would enjoy a night out at a small amusement park or something of that nature. I love to fish from shore sometimes even kayak in the mornings before everyone gets up (6-10), so conveinance (5 min walk or drive) to that would be great. We like to pier fish too.

Above all, we want a place on the beach where the kids can boogie board and build sand castles without being exposed to drunken teenagers.

We've been on alot of the NC and SC beaches, but none of these. We're looking at going further south this year since we have to take our vacation earlier this year and we hate cold water.

Tybee was the first choice because of (1) it's the first one we come to heading south and my wife's pregnant. (2) We would like to see Savannah. Do they have things that small kids would enjoy? (3) It has a pier and some shallow water fishing that I love. (4) There seems to be alot of condos in our price range (under $1,800 per week) (5)It seems small although we've heard that the weekends can get crazy. The last is a bummer since the Memorial Day weekend would be ideal.

We are open to other places also. All feed back is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

Is anyone out there?? Feel free to jump in. . . . .

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

OK, I'll jump in. I only know about Tybee. Whether or not you will have a quiet beach with no drunken teens, depends on where you stay. There may be a bunch in the condo next door. There may even be a bunch of drunken adults. This is true anywhere.

The main beach around the pier is always crowded and the weekends are the worse. Fishing from the pier is nice, but it will depend on the tides as to whether or not it's worthwhile.

Mid beach, between the North end and the Main part is usually pretty quiet. Maybe you could rent a house in that area instead of a condo. With children that age, you want to be on the beach or at least on the beach side of Butler Ave. so that you don't have to cross a very busy street to get the children to the sand.

I see ads for kayaking. If there is a storm out to sea, the water may be too rough for it.

As for things for kids that age to do....well, the whole place doesn't have much to do if you don't like bars. It's a small beach. Just a little over a mile long. The entire commercial area is only about two short blocks in each direction. You will have to battle crowds to get to the couple of kiddie rides that are usually available. The rest is private homes, condos, and apartments.

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

Thanks for the info Aileen! I have found a few condo's and houses in the "mid island" to north end that would get us out of the center. I wasn't objecting to drinking as much as I was the inmature drunkeness during the middle of the day. I know all about going to the beach and cutting loose. . .

I've heard that the north end lacks waves and while the kids don't need 5 footers they need enough to push their boogie boards. If we do come to Tybee, we would want to go to Savannah at least one evening if not two. I know there's alot that me and my wife would love to see, but I wondering if there's something the kids would enjoy too? Do yo have any suggestions on that?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

If you plan on going into Savannah, go during the day and drive or walk around the Historic District. It's an interesting place. I'm afraid that there little of nothing of interest for the children. Six year olds might be interested in the forts, but basically, Savannah is an adult city.

You could go to the Midtown area and where there is a minature golf course and a Chucky Cheese pizza place. There's also a Flying Frog pizza. but that's about it for the youngest ones. The Oatland Island Wildlife refuge might interest them. It's between Tybee and Savannah.

Don't get me wrong, Thousands of people have wonderful vacations at Tybee with their young children. It can be a very restful low-key place. I don't know how the other beaches are, so I can't compare.

One problem with children coming that early in the year, they get badly sunburned the first day and the rest of the time is ruined. Be careful and use plenty of sunscreen.

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

We have two kids that we literally bathe in the sunscreen every morning we vacation, so I know what you're saying. Thanks Aileen. Any body else???

atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

Hey, Was keenly reading everything and I am just wondering which place is the best to stay with my wife and 2 yr old daughter during the memorial day weekend ? Will 3 nights be enough based on jsut chilling on the beach and seeing a lil bit of savanaah also ?

Please let me know.

GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

St. Simons....hands down.

No tacky souvenier shops, waterslides, or minigolf. Great bike trails, nice parks and beaches.

Lake Murray, SC
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Vacation for the end of May or first of June

Tybee Island is your bet. Call the folks at Tybee Island Rentals and tell them you want to rent a condo at Lighthouse Point. Perfect for kids (3 pools, playground, beach is right outisde your door), gold and fishing are nearby, and it's on the North end of the island (no drunk party folks to keep you awake). I'll be happy to give you additional information if you need it. Best of luck and great vacationing!

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations