We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Topic
Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Hello all, need some good advice from you seasoned travelers. We will be traveling to Ft. Benning the week after Labor day and want to visit Savannah and actually stay on Tybee Island. We are in our late forties and just want a relaxing vacation. Can you please share your experiences with the cottage rentals? It will only be my husband and me, so we do not need alot of space. Will the Island be shut down? Thank you!

Edited: 3:30 pm, June 04, 2010
Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Have you thought about renting a condo? We have booked a condo on the southend of Tyeebee for a week, in August and were super pleased with the price & location! If your interested in who we booked with (an independent owner) I can give you more information !

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Thank you for your reply! We have rented a cottage and plan to look into the other options while we are down there. I would be happy to have the info about your condo!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

We have stayed at both a couple of the motels and one cottage so far. IMHO, the only condos for short rentals that we could see from the street appeared to be fairly noisy and populated by an active party crowd but we easily could have missed the nicer ones.

We recently rented a small cottage through Tybee Beach rentals and it was OK, not great, just OK. The reason I said OK is because the outside of the cottage was in poor shape- torn deck chairs and a filthy grill and when we told the management about it on check-out they just shrugged and said basically it wasn't their responsibility. We didn't even notice this stuff until the day before check-out since we had no need to go out the back door and maybe they would have sent someone over to fix and clean but we will never know. If you rent through them, I would be sure to do a full run through of the property to make sure you are happy with the entire unit.

We've stayed at the Dunes Inn motel which was decent for an inexpensive motel and the Howard Johnsons which was functional but very gloomy and run down.

Next time we go, we might check out a guest house or two or rent another cottage through another agency to compare notes. We always go on a very tight budget so we can't splurge and will always be looking for a combination of affordability and functionality/fun/location etc

Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Sent ya a link to your tripAdvisor message board!

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

Thank you Karrieb for your reply, we have booked through "Mermaid Cottages" for this year and will check the others out while there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

I just returned from a GREAT stay at a cottage through tybee vacation rentals. The place was right on the beach, not too far from downtown Savannah, ridiculously clean and FILLED with thoughtful extras. I will always use this company from now on. www.tybeevacationrentals.com

Gahanna, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

which cottage of tybee vacation rentals did you stay at?

8. Re: Cottage rental vs. Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations