We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here we come!

Verona, NJ
1 post
Save Topic
Here we come!

Like millions of other people, I just read about your wonderful island in Better Homes & Gardens.

I can pack very quickly and my cat and I can be down there in a couple hours.

What can I expect in the way of buying/renting a condo or small home, and will I find work as a secretary / pet sitter?

Can't wait to see you!

Boston
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here we come!

We've been there several times on vacation and to check on a home we bought on next-door Wilmington Island. We LOVE Savannah!

But Before you pack- jobs are very difficult to find in the Savannah area in general, particularly in some industries which just don't exist there. We can't afford to move down till retirement or I'd be there today. If you are looking for a service job- waitressing, bar tending etc, hopefully one of the locals will tell you what the summer prospects are on Tybee. Keep in mind that Tybee is VERY small so there aren't alot of places to find work in. Its also very seasonal which means some jobs go away come October or earlier. Come down on vacation first and snoop around. Many people, myself included make decisions to move based on magazine articles which don't reflect reality.

Housing prices are outrageous on Tybee! We deliberately looked when wer were there a couple of weeks ago, thinking vaguely of buying a fixer-upper as another rental property and choked on the asking prices of even the most run down of cottages. I mean $400,00 plus for not much. I don't think condos are much better.

Rentals- again hopefull a local can chime in. We saw many, many for rent signs in tiny duplexes so depending on how picky you are, you might, if its affordable, find a place to hang your hat and your cat.

Don't get me wrong, Tybee is great, but come on vacation first before you pack. Alot of money is involved in moving and unless you are independently wealthy, you may be calling back to the 'rents for some money.

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
2. Re: Here we come!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 10, 2010