We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

I'm just back from my summer vacation and already wondering where to go next year. We visited Savannah for a day while we were in Hilton Head, and we really enjoyed it. So, we're thinking about Tybee Island for next year.

I've been to Folly Beach, SC, and I imagine Tybee Island to be a similar kind of place-- small, not many hotels, everything within a short distance, etc. Am I at all right?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,335 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

Yes to answer your question. We've been to both and in summer Folly Beach is more crowded than Tybee in my opinion.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

We drove around the Folly Beach area about a year ago and found the accessibility to not be very good. We couldn't get a "feel" for the place. Tybee, however, was very accessible, has a fantastic large beach and yes, its kind of small, short distance to many things, not many hotels, etc. Its very, very low key with at times a far size party crowd but you may never notice them depending on which bar you stroll by at night. Daytime is very family oriented. We love Tybee and look forward to every trip.

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

I came across an article on Tybee today in a "Southern Living" magazine. It specifically mentioned Mermaid cottages and a couple of restaurants. I'm even more intrigued now.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

If you are a flip-flop, Tshirt, no frills person, you will enjoy Tybee. Hope you stay intrigued!

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

We've been to Folly Beach and to Tybee Island. There are a lot of similarities, but we enjoyed the beach at Folly more and we also enjoyed the dining choices at Folly more. But the primary reason why we'd enjoy Folly more is that its proximity to Charleston, which we prefer over Savannah. YMMV

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

We liked Charleston, and spent quite bit of time there last year on vacation. This year, we took a trip to Savannah while vacationing in Hilton Head, but due to bad weather, only spent a few hours there. We liked Savannah and would like to be able to look around more.

This is totally off topic. We noticed a large number of homeless people in Savannah's historic district. Has this always been the case, or has the number of homeless people increased a lot since the economy went bad?

new jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

My family has been to both & consider Tybee to be vastly, vastly superior to Folley Beach. This past August we spent a week in a rented home on Tybee and loved this small, quaint intimate island. Our couple of days on Folley a couple years back were nothing special for us. Tybee's beach in this family's opinion & the island itself is vastly superior to Folley.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

CoalTown,

I would think that would be an anomaly, I've never seen a large number of homeless in the historic district. Just an occasional one from time to time.

atlanta,ga
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

Tybee hands down especially the north end of the island.This time of the year it's you the seabirds and the empty beach with great views from your condo

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tybee Island similar to Folly Beach?

When we rode around Folley Beach the houses seemed run down and not well cared for .No larger nice houses. Are the houses the same on Tybee Island or is there more of a sence of pride on Tybee and not like the party town as is Folley?

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island