We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post-Labor Day shutdown

Ringgold, Georgia...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Post-Labor Day shutdown

I've seen a few postings that mention the island "shutting down" after Labor Day. We are planning our trip for just after then, maybe the middle of September. Can we still have a good beach/island experience at that time, or do they roll up the sidewalks, so to speak?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Post-Labor Day shutdown

It's going to depend on what you are looking for. The sun, the beach and the ocean don't change, well, maybe it's not as hot, but some of the shops, and restaurants close. So you might say that some of the sidewalks are rolled up. Kids are back in school, so the sidewalks aren't needed quite as much.

It used to be, not very long ago, that just about everything closed. It's hard to say at this point, which bars will be closed. Some businesses will stay open as long as they have enough customers to make money. That's the secret...making money. When the crowds drop below a certain point. They close.

I think, but not sure, that they stop checking the parking meters, so that people that just drive in for the day, can park free. The big crowds are not there.

So if you are looking for the crowded beach experience, it's not there. If you are looking for a beach experience of watching the ocean, strolling along a quiet beach, etc. you will have that in October. If the weather stays HOT, locals will still be going down, but they don't spend enough money to keep the businesses going.

There will be some restaurants open. The grocery store is there all year around for the residents.

Ringgold, Georgia...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Post-Labor Day shutdown

Aileen, I knew I could count on you!

Thanks for your response. Mainly I want to have restaurant choices and check out stores.

3. Re: Post-Labor Day shutdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island