We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North - Center - South? Bugs? Traffic?

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
North - Center - South? Bugs? Traffic?

Is there anything significantly different when staying on Tybee. What I mean is, is it more crowded in any one section? Is one part more commercial or built up than another? From my searching I get an impression (I could be completely wrong) that the south end has newer condo units and is less crowded. Is that true?

Also, how are the bugs in June?

Finally, I have read that traffic is bad, but that is a relative term. I have gone to OC, MD many years at that has BAD traffic on the main drag, Coastal Hwy. Does bad traffic mean it crawls at 5MPH the length of Butler. How long does it take to get from the south end to the 2nd St on a bad day.

Thanks for the help.

tpoid3

tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: North - Center - South? Bugs? Traffic?

The south end is actually more crowded than the other areas mostly because it is the location of the pier which is 'where the action is'. It really is an awesome pier too. A lot of locals come to the South beach on weekends and that is the only time that I have experienced traffic backing up, although even then it's not that bad. The south beach area presents a local cruising strip which makes it look like theres more trffic than there really is (because people cruise down the strand and back around the block again showing off the wheels). But they may be lookin for a parking place, a rare thing on Saturday. The south end is the only area where there is public parking lot and it's rather small.

Tybee is actually not very 'commercial'. The only fast food place near the beach is a Subway. There are few motels. Condos and cottages are the norm. The mid and north beach areas are quiet and less crowded but also have less beach area due to tides. But if you want a great view of the big ships entering the mouth of the Savannah River the north beach is where it's at. I've visited Tybee every summer since the 1970's and am always torn between which area to rent a condo on (wish we'd bought one when things were cheaper). So we bounce around. If the family is going with us we tend to stay near the south because the children enjoy it there more. If it's just the hubby and me we opt for the north. You just can't beat those romantic views. Hope you enjoy your visits as much as we have.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North - Center - South? Bugs? Traffic?

We just got back from a trip to Tybee Island. The north end is much quieter. The houses seemed nicer to me on the north end, kept up better. We went with our kids. I am glad we stayed at the north end because it was easy enough to go near the pier but nice to leave the area when we wanted to. We didn't encounter any traffic at all, but there was a cold snap. I also have heard about the traffic, and for that reason again I would stay north because the bridge to Tybee Island is at the north end.

I didn't see Subway, but did see an Arby's. I have read some reviews that have been negative about Tybee Island. We liked it, but it is not a high end beach area. A lady I met compared it to an old style Florida beach town. It reminded me of a California beach town that the locals go to, not tourists, like Ocean Beach. I am not saying Tybee Island isn't touristy, it is.

If you are trying to figure out where to stay, I recommend The Savannah Beach and Racquet Club. They are condos on the beach. We were able to walk easily to the light house and even walked to the pier, but that is a long walk.

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations