We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying or Driving?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying or Driving?

Hey guys, just wanted to get some advice. For my safari which is coming up in 118 days (not that I'm counting of course), I'm booked to fly back from Seronera back to Arusha. Due to time constraints I overnight in Arusha then fly back home 6am the next morning whereas the rest of my group is flying from Seronera to Zanzibar. Sadly I don't get to unwind at the beach :(

Since I'll be heading back alone, poor me, just wondering what you think I should do, fly back as planned or might as well just drive back the 8hrs with the guide? I won't really save much money really by driving so that's not a good excuse. Not sure what to do by myself as I'll probably be somewhat tired to walk around Arusha...but maybe not. Is there much to see in Arusha? I was there years ago but don't remember much of it. Not really into shopping. People watching and taking photos might work...

What to do, what to do? Vote now and participate in the democratic process. :)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flying or Driving?

QM and NE, I would if I could. I was on a MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) flight from Arusha to Dodoma. I paid the outrageous fare of $40 for the flight (helps to know who to talk to about arranging the flight, this was their missionary fare and they allowed me to do that when i was doing the work I was doing there). I needed to get to Dodoma for a quick couple of days when I was working up in Kenya, and I took the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha and the flight was waiting for me when I got into Arusha. I had a friend meet me at the bus stop and we hurried off to the airport as they telephoned me and told me that the pilot was waiting for me. It's amusing some times how things work there. With 3 people in the plane there was no room to stretch out. But it was a great flight; but probably not for everyone.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flying or Driving?

I spoke to Achmed and he indicated to just stick with the flight back and stay at Iboru hotel. He also said the 3am departure for the airport was no problem. The diff between flying back and driving was only approx $50 so you really don't save much.

So I'll just leave things as they are. Thanks all!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Flying or Driving?

Karl-not in a million years-it sounds exciting, and I would love to see it, but could not handle it-you would probably have to clean the plane afterwards (or maybe my pants?).

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
737 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flying or Driving?

Wait-at the trip start re you driving from Arusha to Serenegti and stopping at Ngrongoro, Manyara etc? If not, while you would not have time to visit any of the parks you could stop at the museum at Olduvai, or get lunch in Karatu, or stop along the Ngorongoro rim for some nyoma choma and cold beer, enjoy the cool air and maybe catch a bush pig sighting. I would do the drive if you are staying at Ilburo since it is not really in town and while Arusha is a fine town it lacks "must sees" (although sitting in your tree house drinking beer and listening for bush babies sounds like a fine plan). If you start the trip with that drive I would fly back. Karl, I want to fly with you next time!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Flying or Driving?

Sciguy, it wasn't all that bad. I have flown with crop dusters (now that will make you look to see if you need to clean your trousers) and fighter pilots are tame compared to a crop duster. They are constantly dipping down and flying about 25 feet off the ground sending out spray over agriculture fields, in areas with trees, fences, and telephone/electric lines. I had a good friend who did that for a living and I always thought he had a death wish, btw he ended up as a pilot for Delta.

Serval... MAF has a shuttle that they operate weekly I think, goes round robin from Dodoma to Dar to Arusha to Nairobi and you can hop on and hop off. Never taken that (why should I when I can get private service) but it's rather inexpensive to get to those cities. They are based in Dodoma and at one time I knew a lot of their pilots. And they have a housing development in Dodoma so if you're in that area for a while you can rent a place in their village/campus/area. They have been there for a very long time and do a lot of good service in villages, flying sick people out, taking doctors in, taking doctors in on a regular basis to villages as long as they keep the runways open and free of debris. A good organization doing a lot of good.

26. Re: Flying or Driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 13, 2015