We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

Glenbrook, Nevada
1 post
Save Topic
Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

I’m going on a safari with G Adventures next month. The tour company splits with us at 4pm on the 30th of November in Arusha, and we’ve booked our flights home for 11:30p from Nairobi. When we booked the plane tickets, we thought we’d be done earlier in the day. We learned that’s not the case and now I’m a little panicked to figure out a solution that doesn’t involve changing our flight.

All the information I’ve found suggests there are no shuttles running that late in the day, and I’ve gotten conflicting information about how long that drive takes. I’m hoping someone else in my group (we’re all friends going on a custom adventure) will also want to get back to Nairobi that evening and would split a private shuttle. Is it advisable to be on the road between Arusha and Nairobi after dark? Is that even a problem?

I’m investigating a flight from the Kilimanjaro airport to NBO, but can get no specific information on a shuttle running from Arusha to the airport. It looks like a taxi would be US$50…

I’m hoping one of you clever people has already worked this out… I’m quite frustrated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

When is the Nairobi flight from JRO? It takes at a minimum an hour to JRO from town and at that time of day, maybe 90 minutes. Then, you need to ensure you are there at the required time before check in. They want a long lead in time. They you have to arrive in Nairobi, go through customs, get to new location and checked in in their required time. You can save some time by carry on only, but could be tight.

What does it cost to change return flight to a JRO pick up? You want to compare change fees to all expenses of the Nairobi transfer, and expenses if you miss your fligt. Because they aren't on the same ticket, and you miss it, there will be some significant cha ge fees including overnight in Nairobi expenses. Probably a full day.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

Overall it may be cheaper to split from the tour company early in order to make the 14.00 shuttle from Arusha to NBO. Is this possible? i.e. a pick up from your last overnight paid for by yourselves.

I think there is a flight, may be more from JRO-NBO around 19.00 to this would make your 23.30 connection easily. (No need for customs or immigration. You are in transit.)

3rd alternative would be private road transfer to NBO from Arusha. Costly but effective. Not dark until 18.00 and the road is OK.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

Where are you last day that you don't get to Arusha till 4pm?

Most tours are concluded mid-day, not late afternoon.

So depending on where last, you might choose to break earlier from the tour and as mfuwe mentions, at your own expense get back to Arusha in time for the 2pm shuttle to NBO/JKIA.

Otherwise, if arriving JRO 4pm, and wishing to fly... it's 1/hr drive to JRO and then the 7pm flight into NBO/JKIA for the last BA 11:30pm flight to LHR>

If not a flight, maybe you can arrange a private vehicle transfer from Arusha to NBO/JKIA. Private vehicle transfer from Arusha/NBO is in the range of $400 total, though someone did find a fare at $300 (wouldn't count on that amount though).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

If this is a GAdventures trip, more than likely they are leaving the Serengeti and driving to Arusha. I did something similar to this when I did the G trip, however our final destination was Nairobi. Since it's the last day in the Serengeti, I don't believe they leave that early, especially considering they are in an overland truck with probably about 20 people.

More than likely you'll get to Arusha before 4pm but G wants to play it safe.

5. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 04, 2013
6. Re: Getting from Arusha after 4:00p to NBO for 11:30pm flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, November 03, 2014