We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hmmm ... need more input ...

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Hmmm ... need more input ...

I was with a friend of mine at the 150th Fort Sumter program and he mentioned the quality of Stone Mountain amuseument park has gone down hill.

Apparently, some members of his church (suburbs of Greenville, SC) have recently come back from Stone Mountain and said that the quality of the park has gotten worse due to the new management take over.

Huh?

I had wanted to go again in Summer 2011 but now am wondering if its worth my time, money and efforts.

Can someone give us their feedback on Stone Mountain if they have been there since Spring 2010?

Thanks.

Stone Mountain Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, State Parks, Hiking Trails
Stone Mountain Park SkyLift Cable Car
Playgrounds, State Parks, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
291 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hmmm ... need more input ...

You'll have to be more specific. What specifically did your friend find lacking? I've been to the park a couple of times in the past 12 months, most recently about 2 weeks ago. My perception is the park is pretty much as it has been over the last few years.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hmmm ... need more input ...

I am not sure I would call it worse. Some gift shops, souvenier stands, candy shops and such were added in the area just above the train station. I can see where some may think it made it more 'TOURISTY', but to me, it gave us something to do while waiting on the laser show. I think the laser show has been expanded this year.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hmmm ... need more input ...

Used to live in Stone Mountain back in the 1980s when the Park was pretty quiet venue and the laser show was just starting to gain in popularity. About the only rides were the cable car, train and petting zoo. Visited last summer with 2 granddaughters and was amazed at the change as far as trying to be a mini-6 flags and expensive! But the laser show is better than ever and there is plenty of low cost stuff to do from walking to the top of the mountain, exploring around the lake, etc.

4. Re: Hmmm ... need more input ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, September 10, 2016