We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

boulder
6 posts
Save Topic
Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

We are planning on being in the area at the end of June. We will either be staying at the Beach View Club on Jekyll or the Village Inn and pub on St. Simons. Looking of recommendations as to which place and or island might be best. :) Thanx

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

What kind of experience are you looking for? I've stayed at both places, and both had nice rooms. Jekyll will be very quiet, and you will have to make your own entertainment. SSI - well, the Village Inn is in the Village....close to lots of restaurants, shops, the lighthouse and the pier to keep you entertained morning til night. The beach is not great at either location. You will need to drive to East Beach on SSI or the south beach area on Jekyll if that is your interest. I prefer SSI.

Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

I totally agree with the poster above. We stayed on Jekyll and drove to St. Simons to see it. Have fun.

boulder
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

Hey thank you for your replies. All we are really looking for is a cute CLEAN place to stay, a nice beach to relax on, and a yummy seafood dinner. So do you think the beaches on St. Simons are nicer than Jekyll ?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

try the beach club on st simons island. it's on the east beach so it has a nice beach right in front. it's not but a mile or so to the village and there are several restaurants, chelseas, crabdaddys and surprisingly good bbq at beachcombers bbq. in between. ssi has it over jekyll as far as restaurants and entertainment go. the islands are separtaed by only about 8 miles and maybe 15 minutes is all.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

We've also stayed on both and we much preferred St. Simons. There's very little to do on Jekyll (unless you're a golfer) and the accomodations are generally older and run down. Jekyll is far quiter, but of course that appeals to some.

If you're a family, I think you'll be happier going to St. Simons.

St. Simons has the village / pier area with decent choices for shopping and dining.

We're not specifically familiar with either of the properties you're considering.

Neither island has the world's greatest beaches, but if you're traveling to the Georgia coast, you probably know that it's not the Grand Strand or anything like that.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

Boulderboulder: be sure to pay attention to anything bbqman posts. He knows what he's talking about!

boulder
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

Hey thanks everyone for the tips. We can't wait to go! :)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

The Village Inn and Pub is more upscale than the Beach View Club on Jekyll. Jekyll has bigger beaches, but not much for Restaurants. There is Latitudes and the Rah Bar on the water by the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Other than that there is the Jekyll Island Club Hotel and Crane Cottage, both of which you will have to dress for dinner.

On St. Simons, there are a lot of great restaurants. Crabdaddy's for seafood, Chelsea's, Bennie's Red Barn for fried shrimp or steak, Blackwater Grill, George's Mediterranean.......

Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

I've been to both. Love St. Simons more. Just more fun!

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jekyll Island or Saint Simons???

To me the beaches on Jekyll are far better than St Simon. We stay on Jekyll and drive to St Simons usually. But then we are more for a quiet stay.

I agree you have to leave Jekyll for good eats.

St Simons is more developed.

At least check Jekyll out if you get a chance.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island