We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eugenia price places

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
eugenia price places

My husband and I are visiting in January and just finished the St Simons trilogy. As an afterword the auther points out where certain places in the books can be found.

Are there any self tours available for fans of the books or should I make my own list?

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: eugenia price places

Well we are back from our big road trip/cruise adventure.

It was so nice to plan to stop at Jekyll and St Simons on the way back.

First we stayed at the Jekyll Island Club--need I say more.

Now onto St Simons.

The roundabouts caused a little confusion and we got headed for the Fort first stopping at the church and cemetery. What a beautiful setting, and so special to visit the people we had read about.

The Fort area was more extensive than I expected and the ranger knew about Eugenia Price and the Weepin' Time and was very helpful with our visit. She also had been a ranger at the Kingsley Plantation--where we stopped on the trip down and was able to give us even more facts.

We then stopped at Southern Soul--THANK YOU!!!! and took out que to the beach by the Marintine Museum.

After a bit of the ocean we moved onto the lighthouse and town.

Again we had wonderful docents who were eager to talk--could be that this out of season there are not that many lighthouse people.

This lighthouse is skinny and steeper than most, but the climb is worth the view. It is also more expensive than any other we've climbed (even though it includes the museum) and the little lighthouse gifts were more expensive.

The town reminds us alot of Rehoboth in Delaware where we go when we are going to the beach (actually we do Dewey and walk to Rehoboth)

Comparing the two islands is a study in contrast. If you want a quiet beach I can see Jekyll as being a good choice. If you want a beach, shops and neat cafes the St Simons fits the bill. Even off season after spending time at Jekyll the traffic on St Simons made it seem very crowded.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: eugenia price places

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Thanks for the trip report. We have had a busy winter this year with the weather being so mild. We're usually not that crowded in the dead of winter. It is good for our businesses on the Island, I guess. Retailers have been hit hard in the last two years. The round-abouts are a bit of a problem but you just have to go when you think you can. I wasn't in favor of them and preferred a double turn traffic light but was overruled. Anyway, come back and see us. I appreciate your interest in your travels, to get to know something about where you are travelling. Not many people bother to do that.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: eugenia price places

For anyone else looking for Eugenia Price stuff, you can find a small exhibit on her currently at the Lighthouse museum. It houses her writing desk, typewriter and other memorablia.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: eugenia price places

Thanks for the update. I pulled out her St. Simons book to reread not long ago. I'd love to see the exhibit.

15. Re: eugenia price places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island