We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants on St. Simons Island

Which Saint Simons Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey, MA
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurants on St. Simons Island

We are heading to Jekyll Island Club in February and are looking for some good restaurants on St. Simons Island. Trip Advisor recommends Chelsea's and Georgia Sea Grill. Would anyone happen to know the websites for either restaurant, so we could check the menus? I haven't had much luck searching the internet. Thanks so much.

Dalton,
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

try bennie's red barn or the blackwater grill. both have user friendly web sites and excellent food served in a charming atmosphere by caring staff. but there are lots of restaurants on st simons to choose from, explore and enjoy!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

barbara jeans has a great web site where you can order crab cakes delivered to your door. these are the bestest crab cakes in all of the known world. take that maryland! even better is to sit down at barbara jeans table in the village on st simons.

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

My husband's favorite dish is the Dirty Rice at BarbaraJeans (www.barbarajeans.com) and across the street is the 4th of May, deli and Restaurant (www.4thofMay.net) he always orders the Seafood Gumbo. I love the 4th of May too...lots of fresh vegetables, cold salads, hot biscuits and corn bread, and desserts to die for!

PCB, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

I am a St. Simons Island local. Chelsea and the Georgia Sea Grill are both very good. The Sea Grill is my favorite. If you prefer fine dining you should choose one of them. You will need reservations for both. Barbara Jean's and 4th of May are also good but very casual. The websites are: www.GeorgiaSeaGrill.com and www.chelsea-stsimons.com.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

for an informal supper try village creek landing for fresh catch shrimp, oysters and scallops. turn right at bennie's and dead into it or the marsh. they've got the old deck's hush puppy recipe too i think. where ever it came from it's a humdinger!!!

Monterey, MA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

Thanks everyone for your input. We'll definitely try Chelsea's, Georgia Sea Grill, Bennie's Red Barn, Black Water Grill...and top it off with crabcakes from Barbara Jeans. Then I'll put on my running shoes and jog six miles!!!

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

Surprised at the kudos for Bennie's Red Barn. ISorry. cannot get on that bandwagon. Our first (and last) visit: August 2007.

Our first surprise: no printed menus. The waitress ratlled off what I thought were "specials" and when she was still talking several minutes later, I realized she was reciting the entire menu (without prices). I finally stopped her and said "I gather you have no printed menu". She said it was their tradition to speak the menu. I told her I didn't have that good a memory (and I also like to know what things cost). She returned with two menus for our party of four. After we ordered, we passed our menus along to other diners who seemed equally confused by Bennie's tradition.

Entrees come with salad. The waitress never asked what dressing we would like and we were each served a small bowl of greens with a few tomato wedges on top, doused in vinegarette. If you've ever tossed a salad and then saved leftovers overnight, you'll understand the consistency of the lettuce. It was soggy and limp. Speak up if you have a favorite salad dressing. The establishment might not be able to comply, but it's worth a shot.

I might also add that we got there at opening (6PM) and were seated toward the front of the restaurant (nearest the door). Apparently, the management doesn't turn the a/c on until opening time, because it was quite warm when we were seated and by the time I finished my meal, sweat was running down my neck. My daughter, who used the rest room, reported that the restaurant was cooler toward the back. Keep this in mind when you're being seated on a hot day.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

bbqman: Village Creek Landing is no longer open as a restaurant - only special functions for low country boils to parties over 25.

Monterey: Chelsea's and Georgia Sea Grill are very good bets for dining. Chelsea's is a bit more casual and Sea Grill is more fine dining and requires reservations. Most people I know here cite Chelsea's as their favorite restaurant on the Island and Sea Grill is where we like to go for special occasions...

Another really good option is Blackwater Grill in Redfern Village (http://www.blackwatergrill.com) - we usually call ahead for reservations, but it's a fairly low keyed place. In February, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get in without one. Halyard's (http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com) is another fine dining option in it's fancy new digs across from the movie theater on Sea Island Rd. - reservations are a must there as well and they can be snooty if you're late. Since you'll be at Jekyll, you could go midway and try dining in historic DT Brunswick on Newcastle St at Cargo Portside Grill or at Pearl - both are really nice and surprising to find in Brunswick...

Another recommendation - if you have dinner at Georgia Sea Grill, swing by the Village Inn & Pub for a drink before or after dinner... it's in the Village in walking distance to the restaurant. Very cute & cozy bar - sit by the fireplace in the armchairs and enjoy...

Fordyce, Arkansas
Level Contributor
19 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

Had an awful experience at Chelsea's. Enjoyed J-Macs immensely.

St. Simons Island...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants on St. Simons Island

There are a myriad of good restaurants on St Simons. I've lived here for 30 years and have been in the food and beverage business for a large part of it. Look for "where" the locals go. Barbara Jean's is quite touristy...foods pretty good, but I prefer 4th of May. Same fare, perhaps a little better, and more reasonably priced. Good steak: well kept secret is the filet at Blackwater. Fried seafood platters: Crab Trap. Fun porch atmosphere: Mullet Bay. Best fine dining: Halyards or Delaneys. Excellent food. Breakfast: 4th of May, Cafe Frederica, or Sandcastle. BBQ Sandwiches to die for: Beachcombers. Enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island