We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

Which McDonough hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Crime

Hi,

We are wanting to move out to GA in the summer. I've been looking around Henry County and Cobb County, which both are about the same distance from Atlanta. I was starting to get concerned because people have been saying the crime is pretty bad in Atlanta and is starting to branch out to the other communites outside of Atlanta. Does anyone have any advice about the crime in both the areas I'm looking at? I don't know if we should rethink about the move?

Thanks.

Cheetahgirl!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime

Hi, Cheetah. I've seen several of your posts over the past few months. Moving your family is a major decision and it's understandable that you'd have questions and concerns.

I'll be honest. Atlanta has its share of crime. But every big city has crime. That is the risk one takes by living in or near one.

On the flip side, I've lived here since 1973 (except for four years in Athens and two years in Nashville). In that time, I have never been a victim of crime. That's not to say it can't happen. It does and it will. But you can take measure to decrease the risk of it and I've always tried to do that. I don't frequent risky areas by myself late at night. I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings at all time. I don't leave my purse or laptop computer in plain sight in my car. These are common sense things that go a long way.

Cobb County is a fairly big area so it's going to vary according to where you look. Compared to other areas, it's pretty decent. There are probably pockets where crime is higher but overall, it's okay. West Cobb is still somewhat rural in parts and probably has a lower crime rate.

Henry County, as I think I've mentioned before, has only recently gone from being a more rural county to a suburban one. There's probably less crime going on in Henry than Cobb for that reason.

I will point out that New York also has its fair share of crime. You can't avoid it. But I understand your concern and ultimately, you have to think of your family and what is best for them. I love Atlanta and while it has its problems, I don't plan to leave.

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime

Peachyswan,

Thanks for all your information. You've been very helpful. I will be visiting in April and hopefully I can narrow everything down.

Thanks again.

Cheetahgirl

Atlanta
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime

Hi Cheetah.

I have lived on the southside of Atlanta my entire life (36 years). My parents are Atlanta natives as well.

I can only tell you about Henry County, as I have only visted Cobb County for shopping, ballgames, etc...

Henry County is a great area. However, it is a highly dense area as far as population. Not so long ago - maybe a year or two - it was the fastest growing county in the United States. Having said that - the population grew, but not the roads! While the GA DOT is doing their best to add bridges and roads, getting around can be tough especailly during rush hour (6am-9am, (3pm-7pm). So be prepared to navigate through some potentially rough traffic.

The schools are great and there is plenty of shopping. The prxoimity to Interstate 75 (main thouroghfare to and from Atlanta) can't be beat.

I used to work for the Henry County Police Department and yes, there is a fair share of crime, but in my humble and by no means official opinion, I think it would be much less than any major city. You can always call the police dept for stats.

Hope that helps.

Get answers to your questions about McDonough
Recent Conversations
More McDonough Topics