We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

My family and I are passing through Marietta to go to Florida. We are wanting to stop in or around Marietta and spend the night. We want something cheap (less than $100 a night). We want it to be clean and safe. Any suggestions? I have searched and found some hotels and found mixed reviews about them. I saw on here that the Howard Johnson one is horrible, so that won't be an option then. The others I found are: Comfort Inn on Northwest Pkwy, Quality Inn on Franklin Rd, Baymont Inn on Franklin Rd, Super 8 on Franklin Rd, Days Inn (Marietta Pkwy, Kennesaw/Atlanta, Delk Road, and Windy Hill), and Best Western Kennesaw Inn. If anyone know anything about any of these, please let me know. Any other suggestions, please post them. : ) We will be arriving there on June 19th. Thanks so much!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

Without knowing what, specifically, is motivating you to stay in Marietta (i.e., are you trying to be close to something in particular) it's tough to know what area specifically to recommend, but it shouldn't be too tough to find a solid national chain property in a decent area for under $100 on a Friday night. If you're trying to get something for closer to $50/night, you're going to have to settle for something with some issues, as you've seen. Frankly, any Days Inn, Best Western, Super 8, and most Choice Hotels properties (Sleep, Comfort, Quality, Choice, etc.) are going to be suspect for me unless a number of reviews convince me otherwise.

Just a quick check of the Hilton site for the Marietta area on June 19th shows at least two Homewood Suites locations in the $90/night range, several Hampton Inns in the $85/night range, Doubletree properties under $100/night, etc. Heck, even the Embassy Suites on Akers Mill is showing $87/night. The Hilton Garden Inn on Windy Hill is only $71 (but you'd have to pay for breakfast).

If you've got kids with you, as your post suggests, Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites are both great as they have at least microwaves/fridges in the rooms (full kitchen at Homewood), complimentary breakfasts, and typically a separate living area (with sofabed) from the main bedroom, with a TV in each area. You can no doubt find comparable deals on Marriott properties on their site.

Honestly, the Franklin Road area is the one you're likely to see listed as being in "Marietta" that I'd regard as questionable from a safety standpoint -- most of the Kennesaw, Windy Hill, and Cumberland locations should be fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

The area around Kennesaw/Town Center Mall is the best and safest in my opinion. Lots of options for hotels and restaurants.

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

Thank you both for your replies. We aren't staying in Marietta for any particular reason. We are coming from Missouri and do not want to drive straight through to Florida. So we figured that we would stop around Atlanta...so we picked Marietta because it was right before Atlanta. We won't be getting to the hotel until evening/night and will be leaving early in the morning so I do not need a microwave, fridge, etc. We just need a cheap, clean, and safe place to sleep. We were looking more toward Choice Hotels because my husband can get a discount because he is a teacher. Thanks for you info! : )

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

If there's no real magic to staying in Marietta for you, you might also look in the Cartersville/Acworth areas. They're a little farther north on I-75 (meaning you'd reach them before you reach Kennesaw/Marietta), and they're enough farther out that rates will tend to be slightly cheaper, and many of the properties are somewhat newer than their equivalents closer in (these areas have been growing a lot in the last decade or so). Could even check Adairsville or Calhoun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

If it won't throw your trip off to much, you might think about driving on through Atlanta in the evening and staying south of Atlanta so you don't encounter rush hour traffic leaving Marietta.

That said, the areas immediately south of Atlanta can get dicey, and you'd want to get south of the city 20(?) miles or so before you'd find anywhere you'd want to stay. I'm not very familiar with that area, but if this idea interests you I'm sure some others on this forum can provide more detailed suggestions.

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

What time does rush hour start in Atlanta?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

>>What time does rush hour start in Atlanta?

Any time is rush hour in Atlanta! ;-)

Morning or afternoon? Inbound or outbound?

On a weekday, you run the risk of heavy traffic from about 7 am until 9:30 am, but how much risk depends heavily on where you are and where you're trying to go. Likewise from about 4 pm until 7 pm. Generally, inbound traffic on I-75, I-85, and I-20 is heavier in the morning, outbound in the afternoon, but there are plenty of exceptions to that.

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

We will be traveling Interstate 75 all the way to Florida. We are wanting to stay somewhere before going through Atlanta. If we stay in Kennesaw or Marietta, it will already be like a 10 hr drive for us with stops. (traveling with 3 kids ages 2,8,14) We figured we would get up and leave around 5 or 6 on a Saturday morning and head through Atlanta. What do you think?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

On a Saturday morning you're not going to have any problems with normal rush hour traffic no matter when you leave -- may still want to get going early just so you get to Florida sooner, but don't worry about traffic. The only thing that might cause you problems would be construction or a serious wreck. You can find out about construction projects, and get current traffic conditions, at http://www.georgia-navigator.com, or by dialing 511 from anywhere in Georgia.

Be prepared for a lot of construction south of Macon on I-75 -- we drove to Orlando and back last week, and there are concrete barriers and orange barrels lining about half of it. However, it seems that they may not be actively working on weekends -- we didn't see any crews actually at work on either the Sunday we drove down or the Saturday when we drove back.

Missouri
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a hotel suggestion for 1 night

Thanks rakenshak : )