We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should We take a Detour to Madison

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Should We take a Detour to Madison

Well this is the Madison Forum! We will be driving from Atlanta Airport in early May to Savannah for 2 nights as part of a road trip. Should we make a detour to Madison (I know it's in the wrong direction) or spend the extra half day in Savannah?

6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,066 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

It is a nice place to visit but would rather spend the time in Savannah.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

madison may not quite be worthy of 1/2 a day but it's a charming historic town with many ante-bellum homes and would not be terribly out of your way to savannah. enjoy your trip!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

Madison is a very attractive small southern town. Sherman spared it during his march to the sea, so more ante-bellum houses than most. Nice downtown with local shops. When you're done, just get on US 441 and head down toward Savannah.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

Thanks, google maps show it would take an extra hour in driving time. I wasn't considering half a day for Madison but if we spent an hour or two we would probably be arriving in Savannah at about 4 pm and having just flown in from Australia the night before somewhat jetlagged. Madison sounds appealing but we will also be spending time in Charleston so I guess we'll have the opportunity to satisfy our appetite for antebellum houses?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

Madison is a great historic town and a beautiful place to visit but I would not detour there after a long trip from Australia. Savannah and Charleston are great cities. Enjoy your trip.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should We take a Detour to Madison

Madison is very pretty and historic, but I would not include it on this trip. You will enjoy Savannah and Charleston. Welcome to the South. Hope y'all have a great time.

Reply to: Should We take a Detour to Madison
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madison