We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting bugs.....

Asheville, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
Biting bugs.....

Is there any time of year more or less prone to have the terrible gnats and flies?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,760 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biting bugs.....

Cooler weather is not a favorite of gnats so I'd say fall through spring.

I've not really had a problem with "biting bugs" at Jekyll. I keep mosquito wipes in the car in summer months but when there's a breeze - as there is on the coast - it's not really a problem.

Asheville, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biting bugs.....

Thank you, I have been there a couple of times during warmer months and felt like I was being eaten alive. It is a beautiful place, and I'm looking forward to a winter trip there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biting bugs.....

My husband and I have gone to Jekyll in November for several years and never had a problem with gnats. But, this year, we decided to go for two weeks in October. We just returned yesterday. While gnats do not bother me....they love my husband and He was "eaten alive" these two weeks. Not only were they outside, but they were also in the house that we rented too. We put out gnat traps that caught many of them in the house. But, he constantly had to wear Deet and a product called No Natz....which he hated to use constantly. We love Jekyll....but, will never come in October or earlier months again. We will go back to visiting in November next year.

Asheville, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biting bugs.....

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Akron
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biting bugs.....

We been coming to JI for 25 years and now live here full time. In the spring or late winter when the temperature hits about 70 they hatch out on the marsh and blow to JI. That is when they are really bad. We call them biting teeth. They get into your scalp and it starts. Worse for ladies. We use local sprays and some say a Bounty sheet on your head keep them away. Some relief there.

Other times they are here but not the quantity. They tend to be in wide open spaces. The parking lot area @ the golf courses is usually the worst I've experienced. They thin out quite a bit when you get back a hole or two.

dleray beach, fl
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biting bugs.....

Just wanted to say hi and see if you still loved living on ji year round.....we are considering it....thx

Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biting bugs.....

Bed bugs at Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Stayed at hotel and came home with 50 bed bug bites. Please beware.

8. Re: Biting bugs.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 27, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island