We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly?

mississippi
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Kid friendly?

Hi...we are looking for vacation ideas and I ran across Jekyll island. We have 3 boys 8,5, and 2. This would be a 10 hr drive for us and I'd like to get a little insight on what all there is to do there. Thanks!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid friendly?

Beach is the main thing ..shelling ...pool at the hotel. ..golf if you want....pretty barrier island.. Not super developed ... I spent a week on Jekyll many summers of my childhood and loved it do research here good luck

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
728 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid friendly?

It depends on what time of year you plan to visit. If it's this summer, you will enjoy a laid back beach experience. Your children would enjoy the Summer Wave waterpark, the beach,The Turtle Center where they rescue and treat sea turtles, golf, tennis, and great biking with miles of nature trails, and the Lady Jane Shrimp boat in nearby Brunswick. Go to www.jekyllisland.com to get an overview and see if you are interested plus, google Lady Jane shrimp boat. Hotels on Jekyll Island are moderate and there are houses to rent.

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Golden Isles of Georgia, GA
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid friendly?

Jekyll Island is the most kid-friendly place I can imagine...IF you don't want a lot of tacky stuff. The beach is incredible. Biking is fabulous. The putt-putt (mini-golf) is still there. There's a waterpark and the turtle center and a natural island to just enjoy.

Edited: 7:18 pm, June 23, 2013
Rainbow City...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid friendly?

We are here with our kids now. This is our favorite vacation spot. No busy streets (no teenagers honking, hooping, or hollering). Peaceful, quite, safe. The most wonderful place if calm and relaxing is what you are looking for. Great beaches...great experience exploring for nature. My daughter went crazy at driftwood beach with all the ocean life...crabs and shells galore. Fun water park. Great nature trails for biking. Miniature golf. Great place to disconnect from electronic devices and reconnect to family.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid friendly?

Just returned Saturday (June 29) after being there with grandchildren 11, 9 and 4. We go there every year and have for over 35 years! It's the best place in the world for kids. Bike paths are wide and safe and there are lots of places to rent bikes if you don't bring yours. Also the 4-H Tidelands Nature Center has a lot of programs for children in summer. My grandchildren went to "Feed the Critters," where they learned about sharks and so forth and got to feed some animals. They also went to a session on seining and got to help with the big seine net. The Turtle Center is very interesting for kids also. The playground near the putt-putt course is very nice. If you play putt putt in the evening bring mosquito repellent, but it is fun! My husband took the two older kids on a long bike ride and then rewarded them with a visit to DQ and a blizzard. They also went to Summer Waves aquatic park, which has a lower rate beginning at 3:00. My grandchildren love the island!

Edited: 5:20 pm, July 02, 2013
Russellville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid friendly?

We love going for the fact our kids can roam the beach without people being everywhere. We also like to visit St. Simon's Island to see the lighthouse. The waterpark is great and the fishing pier. Highly reccomend!!!!

7. Re: Kid friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island