We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

Which Jekyll Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
425 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

We have visited jekyll island many times in the past and loved it. Last year when we visited, areas of the island were under construction for a new convention center which made navigating those areas on a bicycle a little more difficult along with lessoning the tranquil beauty to which we had grown accustomed. In November, we, are renting a house on jekyll along with other family members and are wondering "what is the status of this construction"? Is it finally finished...if so, how doe it look? Also, has it brought a large influx of tourists or conventioneers to the island? We have always visited the island in November when there are very few tourists...as at that time, it is so tranquil and lovely and are hoping that all is still the same. Thanks much for your help?

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

The construction is over. They are finishing a new toll plaza out on the causeway but that's it. I think the Convention Center is over built for the Island but that's just my opinion. Check Jekyll's website for convention schedules during your time there. Other than that it should be quiet.

Ohio
Level Contributor
425 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

Thanks Susanna....great to know that the construction is finished. Thanks also for advising me to check out the convention schedule. Not sure if it is good or bad....the Georgia Literary Festival will be going on at the convention center and also the Jekyll Islamd Club for part of the time while we are there. So there will definitely be more people on the island at that time. However, on one of those days, their programs are free to the public. So...it might also be interesting to attend? Thanks for your help!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

I've attended conventions at Jekyll for years and the old convention center was very small and cramped. The conventions held at the Jekyll Island Club during construction were very nice. The "tents' were wonderful and there was far more room than before. I haven't seen the new center yet, but I think it will have to increase visits to the island. Even so, a lot of convention attendees bring families along to combine it with a family vacation. I think it will be a very nice upgrade.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

Great! Please write a report when you get back and let us know what you think of the changes.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

An update for today and the next couple of days =

Jekyll Island

Jekyll Island guests and residents, please note that we are in transition with our new Guest Information Center and Plaza. Our new, modern entry system is currently in flux, so please read signs and travel slowly as you enter the Island. All the changes should be worked out in a day or so. Please enter the Island the same way you normally would- pay your daily parking fee at the Greeting Station. Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we make Jekyll even better!

Ohio
Level Contributor
425 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

Thanks onemoreroad for the update. Hopefully, all will be completed by the time that we arrive, although, I thought where they had the toll plaza before was fine, but...maybe this will be better?

I did do a little research on past Georgia Literary Festivals and it looks that there could be several thousand people at this festival, so the island will definitely be busy for at least the first few days of our visit. Thanks for all of your help and Susanna ...I will write a review after. We also hope to visit St Simeon's for a day trip too.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

I don't think you will have hell raisers on the Island from the Literary Festival, so all should be fine. It is still a big Island and spread out, lots of space for everyone. We look forward to hearing from you. If you eat out, you might want to make reservations at the local eateries. Let me know if you are dining on Saint Simons or want to explore other local interests. Will be happy to help. If not enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will.

8. Re: Status of construction on Jekyll Island for November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 23, 2013