We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Jekyll Island?

Oakland, nebraska
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Jekyll Island?

Will be on Jekyll Island for a week in June... I love my wife but she doesn't like to fish and I'm going to fish a lot. Need some places to go to and things to see.. Thinking of a Savannah day trip but sure there's lots to see and do. Anyone have a top 10 list... Thanks for your help...

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Jekyll Island?

What does your wife like to do? Savannah will be about 1 & 1/2 hour trip each way but well worth it. The Island just north, (where I live) is Saint Simons Island. There is history, shops and restaurants. If she like to ride bikes Jekyll will be great. Just let us know her interests, i.e. outdoors, nature, shopping, restaurants, historic sites, etc.

Oakland, nebraska
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Jekyll Island?

She loves to shop, run/walk, eat,golf,and did I say SHOP???? Thanks for the reply...

Gainesville, Georgia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Jekyll Island?

St. Simons is perfect for shopping. It's more developed than Jekyll Island, with a lot more shops. Some good restaurants there as well. Lets see...

She could

1) Take a day trip to Raccoon Key

2) Book a trip on the Lady Jane shrimp boat (they cook the shrimp right on the boat)

3) Go to Savannah

4) Book a trip to Cumberland Island

5) Head to St. Marys

6) Visit Crooked River State Park

7) Visit Fort Frederica National Monument (St. Simons)

8) See Fort King George State Historic Site

9) Go see Howfyl-Broadfield Plantation

10) See Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge (Sapelo Island)

11) Visit the Okeefenokee National Wildlife Refuge

That's 10 plus a bonus!

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Jekyll Island?

There are miles of trails for her to run/walk on Jekyll. Beautiful nature and wildlife. As for golf, there are three courses open to the public on Jekyll. Indian Mound, Oleander & Pine Lakes 912-635-2368. There is also a small 9 hole course on the Island. They are OK for the price but if you want a great golf experience go the the King and Prince golf course at the Hampton Club. 912-634-0255. It is on the north end of Saint Simons Island. It has beautiful marsh holes, a very interesting course to play. It should only take you about 30 minutes to reach. For shopping there are two places on Saint Simons. First is the Village and second is Redfern Village. They also have nice restaurants. If you will be fishing, she could easily drive over to Saint Simons on her own. If you are on Jekyll Island on a Sunday, don't miss Jekyll Island Club's Sunday Brunch.

Edited: 10:34 am, January 13, 2012
5. Re: Day trips from Jekyll Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island