We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

We live in Dallas and typically do Gulf Shores or Destin in the summer.

This year we are thinking of trying Hilton Head. It seems like it would be very nice, but also like it would be really crowded.

I started reading about Jekyll Island & it looks really beautiful.

We have a five year old and will be traveling with another family with a 1 year old, 5 year old and a 14 year old.

The kids mainly want the beach, my husband is a golfer, and the other husband is loves to fish.

Which would you recommend if it were your family?

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
741 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

Well, the two islands are completely different. Each have golf but the golf on Hilton Head is way better and much more expensive (Jekyll's are just OK and pretty inexpensive). Yes Hilton Head is allot larger and more crowded in the summer, but there is much more to do there for the kids and the teenager. Harbor Town has shops, restaurants and concerts at night. Jekyll is great too but much more laid back. The beaches are great. There is a new Hampton Inn on the island. Jekyll has great bike trails and good camping. Jekyll has a small water park and a turtle center, you can Google them. I am jumping back and forth because it is hard to even compare the two islands because they are so different. If you like shops, restaurants, movies, boating, golf, etc. go to Hilton Head. If you like nature, quiet evenings, the beach, long bike trails and few restaurants that are very casual (except for the Jekyll Island Club) go to Jekyll.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,339 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

Totally agree with susanna. Jekyll Island is more laid back and quieter. You have a lot of options for the Georgia Coast. You could take a visit to Savannah, St. Simons Island, St. Marys and Cumberland Island or go down just over the Florida line to Amelia Island. It just depends on what you like. There is a lot of history, family friendly bike paths and quiet beaches along the coast. Enoy your trip.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

The above is correct. Comparing Jekyll to hilton head is like night and day. Some things to keep in mind is next to jekyll is St. Simmons island. There is more golf and shops here but even combined there is not near as much as Hilton Head. Now both Jykll and St. Simmons have good fishing piers.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I think for this trip we will probably go with Hilton Head.

Maybe next summer we'll try Jekyll Island if it's just our family. The nature aspect of the island sounds awesome.

I know my daughter would love the sea turtles!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

Don't forget Fripp Island. http://www.frippislandresort.com

6. Re: Jekyll Island or Hilton Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island