We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

I need to visit Jekyll island for a wedding next yesr and was wondering as I will be flying over from the UK if people can recommend anything else to do in the area or visit. I don't mind a fair trip between sites. Thanks

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

How much time will you have? If you have time and a car, a trip down to St Augustine might be interesting. Or up to Savannah.

Of course, as far as history goes, Both places are brand new when compared to the British Isles, but they both have interesting historical stories to tell.

What time of year will you be coming?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

where are you arriving and how long do you plan to visit? there are many sites in between st augustine fl and charleston sc of interest.

shrewsbury pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

I have done this routine many times , savannah is beautiful and about an hour or less north with hilton head north of that , st augustine is a little less than 2 hours south. all those areas are beautiful hilton head offers les unless you like to golf , but parris island marine base is not far and has a great museum and beaufort is also near hilton head and a beautiful little historic town . savannahwhich would be your closest is really interesting with losts to do. have fun

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

If you have time I would say do both Savannah and St Augustine. Both are awesome in their own way. Leave at least a full day for both. Savannah was first city in GA and laid out by a countryman of yours-Gen Oglethorpe. St Augustine is oldest city in US, settled by the Spanish. Neat little city, it is below Jacksonville, FLA on the Atlantic coast. Very nice, with some good eating at both places.

Other options are Cumberland Island National Seashore and Okefenokee Swamp (several parks). These are two natural gems that always surprises me that Ga residents have not visited. If doing Okefenokee, I would drive the extra to get to Stephen Foster SP on South side. Worth the extra effort to see what most imagine a swamp to be.

Each one of the above would be full day trips at least. Or you could go on up coast and stay overnight in Savannah, then check out Charleston SC, which is also a great city to visit.

Check out my name link for some recent, and not so recent, posts for that area. Feel free to ask me questions with your area of interests directly (click on name link to send direct) and i will try to help you out.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

Wonder when you wil be here. At xmas time, the Island is gorgeous with decorations and had the feel of almost the New England part of the US.

right by Jekyll Island is St Simons Island . Nice to walk around by the water,but go there specifically to eat at Barbara Jeans.People come from all over to eat real home cooking,southern style. The crab cakes and soups and vegtables are to die for. People stand in line,but the line moves fast. Now, they have opened Barbara Jeans in two other places,but I have not been to those so I cannot speak for them.Go to the original, in St Simons and enjoy!

Coleridge

6. Re: Places to combine holiday in jekyll with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 10, 2009