We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Hi ! My family are travelling from Orlando by car. And we did not want to drive straight for 8 hrs. Is Jekyll Island worth to stay one night ? Is it too off from the way ? Or is there any better quaint small town which is better? We love quaint villages like Carmel, California. I wonder if there is such similar ones along the way from Orlando.

Appreciate any help.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Jekyll or St Simons would be good, but they're slightly out of a direct line on your trip. Beaufort SC, a little further up, would be good also.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,254 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

We enjoy the Village/Pier area of St. Simons Island. Nice views and some good restaurants in the area.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

On your way to Jekyll or St Simon's, consider stopping for lunch or coffee in historic Fernandina Beach on Amelia island- very quaint downtown and terrific non-chain lunch places.

When are you traveling? If it's this weekend, skip Fernandina Beach as it is The Shrimp Festival and downtown will be slammed.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Thks everyone. I will certainly check out those other options soon. If Jekyll Island is d best, we wouldn't mind off track a bit. Since we have travelled all d way from Malaysia to Seattle to Orlando & Miami.

Seattle is our first stop to attend son's graduation. Then fly to Orlando and drive to Miami, then to Atlanta to see a relative. I am also wondering what would be the best place to visit before off to San Fran to catch our flight home. I would like a cabin stay experience if possible with a beautiful lake scenery. But that is another forum I guess.

I will be traveling on 19/6 to Atlanta. So there will be no festival I hope. 😀

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,739 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Check out the cabins at Callaway Gardens.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
8 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

I think you would enjoy your night at Jekyll Island it is a very special place especially in the United States 80% of it is un touched natural beauty. In the 1800s the world's wealthiest families owned the island and built cottages where they would cruise down the coast and spend the spring time at Jekyll . The history is remarkable and the beauty is unparalleled especially if you enjoy natural. Wait you, biking walking and not a lot of crowds

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

Yes, I really love to stay 1 night in Jekyll Island.

Would this work ?

Drive from Orlando to Jekyll Island (1 night)

Drive from Jekyll to Savannah (1 night)

Drive from Savannah to Charleston (2nights)

Drive from Charleston to Atlanta

Can anyone let me know the best routes to take for these trips ?

Are they any more stops I should consider from Charleston to Atlanta ?

Would love help from anyone. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,254 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

On way back from Charleston stop in Madison, Ga and enjoy a walk around town to see some of the old homes and then go to Blue Willow Inn for a delicious southern buffet in neaby Social Circle.

You can take Hwy 17 from Brunswick once you leave Jekyll Island and head up to Darien. It is very historic then get on I 95 to Savannah.

You can also take Hwy 17 thru Beaufort, SC on way to Charleston.

We always just come back interstates from Charleston using I 20 to get to Atlanta.

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
39 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

From Jekyll to Savannah is only around 100 miles up I-95 so not sure you would want to spend a night that close to Jekyll unless you are spending the day seeing the sights in Savannah. I would suggest stopping at

a business that is on Hwy 17 between Savannah and Beaufort (actually right before you get to Beaufort) that looks like an old country store and has all types of foods, jellies, cider, you name it. I can't recall the name of it (its been several years) but we stopped on the way from Charleston to Savannah and spent an hour just looking at their merchandise. There are interstates from Savannah to Chas but as the previous posted suggested, Hwy 17 is the more scenic route. We do I-26 from Chas to Columbia then pick up I-20 in Columbia. There are some scenic back roads (Exit 187 to Hwy 78 that comes out on I-20 at Aiken) through horse country that are pleasant drives. You pass by huge horse farms with rolling pastures.

PA
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over from Orlando to Atlanta

i would say St. Simons is more like Carmel, CA than Jekyll but neither really are like Carmel. I don't know about anything about the FL towns or SC. Having been to Carmel I would say St. Simons is more similar but not the same. The pier area has shopping and some nice places to eat but it's not as high end as Carmel and a there are a handful of touristy shops in the pier area. There are some higher end shops around St. Simons.I would say Jekyll is more a family friendly place. We prefer St. Simons but always make a point to spend a day in Jekyll when we're at St. Simons.

Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island