We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying busy??????

glenwood,ga
1 post
Save Topic
Staying busy??????

My family and I are going to Helen on vacation the first week in July, we are traveling with kids starting at age 7 and up to teens, we are wanting to know what is something that is good for all of us to do together? We will be staying for 7 days. So we need to know some fun things to do that we all like and also on a budget. Anyone have any ideas??? We have a few things in mind but would always be welcomed to any ideas. Thanks. Also if possible we dont want to have to drive over 30 min to get to anywhere.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying busy??????

well besides Helen itself, there are several state parks nearby--thats a long stay in Helen. I know you dont want to travel much, but Hiawassee and Lake Chatuge are very nice spots for kids---they have a nice beach, big lake,you can rent Pontoon boats--for me, id stay the 7 days near Hiawassee at the Ramada,right on the lake--and their rates are usually less than Helen--then drive to Helen one day,which is all it takes--have fun

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,616 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying busy??????

State parks in the area- go to www.gastateparks.org

Cleveland- Babyland General- cabbage patch dolls, museum, etc.

Lake Chatuge- boating, fishing and beach

Blue Ridge- historic train

You will have to drive to do these things if you stay in Helen. We go to Helen for a long weekend but have never stayed longer than 2-3 days.

Enjoy your trip.

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying busy??????

Part of the beauty of going to the mountains is driving around and enjoying the scenery.I couldn't imagine not going to the mountains and not riding around just to enjoy all the beauty North Georgia has to offer.There are waterfalls that I'm sure the whole family would enjoy.I will provide a link below to waterfalls in North Georgia.

I bet the kids would enjoy tubing down the river and there is also a water slide park in Helen as well.

I suggest checking out the chamber of commerce of near by cities and Helen to see if any events are happening on the dates you will be vacationing.

Hope you have a great time and remember to enjoy just being in the mountains

Here is the link to waterfalls in North Georgia.

http://www.jjanthony.com/waterfalls/

4. Re: Staying busy??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Helen